Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Mironelul
Explorer

@Anonymous Thanks a lot for the help :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
scottsweb
Explorer

What a thread! 629 pages and still going. I feel compelled to add my frustrations about the KD-43X8305C (2015) Android TV.

My issues are largely all software related:

• YouView. It is super slow to do anything. I have pretty much given up on using the guide which continually says "Information is not available". Scrolling back through the week, the problem gets worse which undermines one of the big selling points of YouView. I decided to disable YouView as the default Freeview guide seems much more responsive and gives me the ability to record, but disabling it removes ALL the catch up TV apps (iPlayer, All 4 etc). I really wish I could use them with the standard guide. 
  • All 4. When the TV has been not been restarted recently, All 4 stops working. The app will start, but when attempting to watch something, the last prompt asking you to accept the terms and play the programme cannot be navigated. Only the cancel button works. Restarting the TV (as with most issues) make it work for a short time.
  • Unresponsive/Crashes. The longer the TV goes without a restart, the slower it becomes. It gets to a point where it exhausts its resources and requires another restart. Sometimes it will restart itself. Rebooting takes ages. Upon restart some apps will fail to start. I feel like I need to warm up the TV for 10 minutes before wanting to use it.
  • Forced Apps. I have a truck load of apps that I do not want and cannot remove.
  • Updates. They are irregular at best. On one occasion I was updated the EU firmware (which took all the on demand apps away) and had to wait until the next UK firware for it to be fixed (a six week wait). I am hoping we will continue to get updates but they are becomming less frequent.

It has been a very dissapointing purchase and we are not seeing any signs of improvement from Sony. My last TV lasted over ten years, I can see this one being obsoltete/abandoned in two.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@scottsweb wrote:

What a thread! 629 pages and still going. I feel compelled to add my frustrations about the KD-43X8305C (2015) Android TV.

My issues are largely all software related:

• YouView. It is super slow to do anything. I have pretty much given up on using the guide which continually says "Information is not available". Scrolling back through the week, the problem gets worse which undermines one of the big selling points of YouView. I decided to disable YouView as the default Freeview guide seems much more responsive and gives me the ability to record, but disabling it removes ALL the catch up TV apps (iPlayer, All 4 etc). I really wish I could use them with the standard guide. 
  • All 4. When the TV has been not been restarted recently, All 4 stops working. The app will start, but when attempting to watch something, the last prompt asking you to accept the terms and play the programme cannot be navigated. Only the cancel button works. Restarting the TV (as with most issues) make it work for a short time.
  • Unresponsive/Crashes. The longer the TV goes without a restart, the slower it becomes. It gets to a point where it exhausts its resources and requires another restart. Sometimes it will restart itself. Rebooting takes ages. Upon restart some apps will fail to start. I feel like I need to warm up the TV for 10 minutes before wanting to use it.
  • Forced Apps. I have a truck load of apps that I do not want and cannot remove.
  • Updates. They are irregular at best. On one occasion I was updated the EU firmware (which took all the on demand apps away) and had to wait until the next UK firware for it to be fixed (a six week wait). I am hoping we will continue to get updates but they are becomming less frequent.

It has been a very disappointing purchase and we are not seeing any signs of improvement from Sony. My last TV lasted over ten years, I can see this one being obsolete/abandoned in two.

Hi scottsweb

There have been many things wrong with these sets, and indeed there are many things still wrong.

But much of what you mention is not included in the generally agreed list of current faults, so we need to look to see if your set can be fixed, or if you should be reporting it as individually faulty.

Firstly, you should check if you have the very latest software update, and accept the update if not.

Secondly, I strongly recommend a full Factory Reset.

Thirdly, disabling YouView should only remove the ITV Hub and All4 players. If you are losing the BBC iPlayer and Demand 5 as well, this points to a problem with your internet connection, as seen by the TV.

All4 should not behave as you describe - quite apart from failing, the terms dialogue should not be coming up each time, which suggests the the All4 app is not remembering you as it should.

These sets indeed used to be notorious for slowing down, and even freezing/stalling/crashing, with accumulated use, but these problems should be behind us now. It sounds like you might be stuck on an old release of the software - which version are you on?

The sets are likewise infested with all sorts of apps, running or not. But they are designed to be there, and the set's memory and capabilities allow for these apps. You will find that you can go into quite a number of them, and force stop, though there are many that you can't. And probably just as well, as they are required for the sets to run.

But even by analogy with non-essential apps, I don't see you ripping off the aerial on your car if you never listen to the radio, so why are you worried about these?

Re the EU firmware, nobody got this who hadn't been 'adjusting their regional settings hem hem'. Though Sony perhaps need to allow an update refresh when we change our geographical indicators, and come back in from the cold 🙂

it is, of course, to be hoped that updates will not cease until every issue with these sets is fixed, over the six-year lifetime that both law and common practice decree, which should give us until 2021.

But yours still seems to have the issues these sets were facing a year ago; please carry out all the steps above, and see if things don't improve, even if they are still by no means perfect yet.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
andipr

Hi all,

Just wondering how those of you with Sky Q are doing?

Are the judder issues still evident for 4K or have things improved?

My Model KD43X8309CBU
chrgray

@andipr still the same on Sky Q. Will remain the same until Sony issue a firmware fix.

profile.country.en_GB.title
petsmart

I am yet to have the juddering issues with sky q. I Have my output set to UHD and watching normal TV is absolutelty fine. I have also watched UHD content but not longer than say 30 mnutes at the moment - been watching too much of the olympics. (55x8509c)

profile.country.GB.title
Cyberlife
Explorer

After updating to version 3.473, WiFi can't detect

where is the problem

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cyberlife wrote:

After updating to version 3.473, WiFi can't detect

where is the problem

Suggest factory reset:

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/66442/kw/

profile.country.GB.title
Cyberlife
Explorer

thank you

The problem was from the WiFi channel

when i change channel from 12 to 6 or 1 the problem was solved

profile.country.GB.title
lgcebr

The press have started to pick up on the Sony 4k / Sky UHD juddering problem.  Hopefully the publicity will make the wider press and push Sony into swift action:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2016/08/16/sony-tvs-fail-with-key-new-4k-source-but-a-fix-is-...

http://www.insideci.co.uk/news/sky-q-4k-fails-with-sony-uhd-tv-owners.aspx

As one of the article says suggesting a "fix" that means using a 4K television only in HD only is not a good advertisement for Sony!