Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Bar--8

Update: I rebooted my TV (plug out) this AM and the diabolical picture has improved to that which I remember after taking it out the box (the misses gave it formal pass too). Seems like another degrade over time issue. Might stick the set on a timer plug if this continues.

Game mode is still bad (but not as bad as it was).

NickCo1979

I'm still having to reboot at least once a day due to the sound and picture lag issues. Hopefully it's just buggy firmware. Apparently Sony will be bringing out new FW for these TVs on the 15th June (ish) that addresses the Netflix issue (as per previous post), hopefully it'll also address what seems to be memory leaks or just rough code that's causing these issues over time.

MikeLothian

That's great news, thanks for letting us know

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Anyone have issues with the flick remote stop working? It was fine, now nothing happens when i press buttons. Tried a factory reset and tried to register the remote but nothing happens?

Abercrombie

I had exactly the same thing happen with my remote. I called the Sony Support UK phone number, which I got from the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page. They offered to send a replacement once I'd emailed proof of purchase over. That was on Tuesday & the remote still hasn't arrived as yet.....

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

At least I am not the only one! Can't understand what has caused it to stop!

Abercrombie

My remote stopped working after a factory reset as well. You might have some luck re-initialising your remote, as per this article: http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/68153

If you get this to work, you should then be able to pair the remote with the TV again!

alellio01

Does anyone else get the feeling these android tv's are more trouble than there worth.

I'm having to reboot mine every day, just to be able to watch it.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Thank you Abercrom!!! This fixed my issue and the flick remote is now working again.

Bar--8

Seems we are beta testing these TV's, perhaps Sony might like to compensate us for the usability feedback, lack of functionality, bugs and hassle.

Would someone mind testing Game mode please (found in Action Menu > Picture > Picture Mode)? Mine doesn't work and i'd like to see if this is a unique problem.