Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
scottryan10

Hi All...

YES, I feel we are the Beta testers for this so called new Android Tv for Sony.

We are the mugs, forgive the pun, to hand over our money to Sony, for a massive marketed product, and it is up to us to report back to Sony with all our problems.....

And yes, i do think we are in the group of people that are inline for a compensation package of some sort, we must deserve something here....

Sony are just sitting back and waiting to see what problems arise with thier new Android models....

WELL, IF THE PROBLEMS ARE NOT FIXED SONY, I THINK YOU WILL HAVE A BARRAGE OF PEOPLE CARRYING BACK THEIR TV BACK TO THE SONY STORE, OR WHERE THE TV SET WAS PURCHASED AND DEMANDING A REFUND..!! I THINK SONY WILL SIT UP AND LISTEN THEN, DONT YOU..?

We are being treated disgusting by Sony, and all we get is someone dealing with the Social Media pages, and telling us, Dont worry, an update is due out soon....Well, why was it not done at the factory then..!

Not Good Sony....Not Good...

lesking70

I totally agree! This is the largest amount off money I've spent on a tv, hoping for something that was truly going to blow my viewing experience away, what I've got is a tv I spend more time tweaking the settings than actually watching, and the only solutions sony offer is, reset the tv! How does that help at all! I have made a complaint to Sony regarding my concerns, I will most likely get a generic apology, how can you advertise a tv, that's all singing and dancing, touted to revolutionise how you watch TV, but send it out with half the features? Very poor indeed!
NickCo1979

You have to give them a little slack, this is how almost all products are developed nowadays that contain software so that the manufacturers can get the product out in the market asap.The marketeers run the businesses and the technical staff that actually deliver inevitably tend to be underfunded and over-stretched whilst the marketing bods just want to polish the turd as much as possible. Take Apple as a cracking example, where the first iPhone was released without 3G or something as simple as cut and paste! 

The key to this method of delivery though is communication and making customers aware of the issues and when they will be fixed. This for me is the most annoying part of it, on a Sony forum we've not heard anything from a Sony staff member. The best we've had is a forum expert member with some insider info.

I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks / months to get more stable firmware out and to fix the problems. Will reassess at that point whether they've delivered on the marketing hype.

Abercrombie

I managed to set the HDMI output that my ps4 is plugged in to automatically switch modes (game/cinema etc) depending on the type of input. It goes to cinema home when I'm watching a bluray & switches to game mode when I'm in the mood for some Battlefield Hardline or whatever.

Saying that, there are a number of irritating picture setting issues, like 3d settings that don't work every time, so it could be that there is an over-arching bug that is affecting all these different UI systems.
alellio01

Sorry, I disagree with you on this.

It's taken me so far today 4 TV reboots, and I still don't have working sound. Some of these issues must have been known before shipping the TV. We are told 10 days to a firmware update, but what if that does not fix it, you are aware that you only have 14 days to return an item purchased online, 

Like everyone here, I love Sony but really they should have removed these TVs from sale, also I will admit lack of any official response from Sony is making me nervous.

NickCo1979

Fair points. Technically the sale of goods act gives you 6 months to return goods that are not fit for purpose and the retailer has to prove that the fault didn't exist when the goods were supplied. After this 6 months the consumer has to prove the fault existed when the goods were purchased. I think that would be fairly easy though given the issues noted here.

I work within an industry where we see this kind of thing all the time hence my willingness to give it some leeway. Given that the issues are consistent across all of the Android TVs (and not model specific) and the entire high end range this year is Android I'd hope that Sony would be on this quickly (although my Z3 compact took bloody ages to be updated to Android 5.0). The lack of official responses though is certainly concerning and not something I would expect from a large multinational.....

NB: Edited to correct the interpretation of the SOG act.

Bansai75
Explorer

I too am extremely disappointed in my new TV (KD49X8305CBU). The software clearly isn't ready yet and, although it does seem to be common practice to let customers beta test, it is very annoying on such an expensive purchase.

I couldn't wait for my new TV to arrive and have been excited for months before the launch - constantly reading rumours, reviews and reports. Now it just sits in my living room and fills me with loathing.

1. Netflix - why oh why would they release a product with a Netflix button, but not have it working?

2. Amazon Instant is virtually unusable. The picture and sound are so jerky it's incredible (and I have a 120Mb internet connection so it's not that causing it).

3. Chromecast - my iPhone and iPad just won't connect at all. I have had to plug my Apple TV back in (which I hoped I could get rid of). Also the apps available for iOS users are limited to say the least.

If I could be bothered, it would go back. If it's not fixed soon - I will gain the motivation.

profile.country.en_GB.title
petsmart

Bansai I also had issue 3 with casting tonight. It was all working fine but now I can't cast anything to the TV and have had to plug back in a actual chrome cast device. 

It seems I can't also now open any internet based feature on the TV although the network connectivity is actually there eveyime I open an app it says no internet connection. I tried a reset yesterday got signed in and downloaded apps but today..nothing ..can't open Internet on any apps. Plex YouTube etc it's all going funny. Have a call logged with Sony. 

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi all just another quick update regarding services for your Android TVs.

Have a look at This page to check services schedules.

services.jpg

NickCo1979

Awesome, thank you. Good to see some comms now and rough ETAs on the various bits and pieces :slight_smile: