Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

Is anyone having trouble with Kodi? For some reason it is buffering. I have cleared the cache and it still persists. While playibg video, it stops and then you get the 'Buffering' signal. This is followed by the video fast forwarding on its own accord.Then it seems to get sorted on its own for no reason.

Indy121

I have just turned on my 49x8307 - it shows version number 5.0.2 

when i I try to open Netflix or BBC I player, it says an update is required. I then search for an update and it says there are no updates available? 

profile.country.GB.title
Folkfanger

Success. Thanks to all who have helped. I have at last managed to do an update using the two files on a usb stick method. Too late to see the plusses and minuses from doing this (more apps obviously) I'll have a good try tomorrow. Good night all.

risp123
Explorer

I have a sony w805c and installed the latest update 2 weeks ago. After the update I still have a problem with HDMI. My setup:

1. I have a Philips Audio receiver connected to HDMI 4 (ARC)
  2. I have a Raspberry Pi conntected to HDMI 3

When I unplug the power and then connect it again my setup works, meaning when I turn on the TV the audio receiver is turned on as well. Also I'm able to control the Pi with the Sony remote. However after some time (can be minutes can be hours) it says TV Speaker active. From that moment on I'm no longer able to get the sound from the audio receiver and at the same time I'm no longer able to control the Pi with the Sony remote.

I also tested these devices alone but I keep getting the same problems. After a fresh start (with power cable unplugged) it works but after some time it stops. I'm 100% sure it's an issue with the TV since both devices no longer work at the same time. And I don't need to restart my Pi or unplug my the power from my audio receiver. It seems there's some HDMI process crashing or something. I also reported this problem on a Dutch site and more people had the same problem. I already connected Sony Support by mail but so far not solution. They keep saying my cables are the problem but how can everything work first (and works perfectly with my Samsung TV).

profile.country.GB.title
andipr

Risp123 - Sounds like you have been quite thorough already, but have you tried the Pi in HDMI 1 or 2 as well?

No reason why this would be any different, but it might be worth a go.

Given that they are fine on the Samsung I'm inclined to think it's about compatibility with the Sony.

Good luck.

My Model KD43X8309CBU
Heckie

I had a problem with my AV receiver in that everytime I switched the TV on, it would switch on the receiver, I could adjust volume, but the ARC signal wouldnt pass through (no icon on recevier panel).

When I went into devices, my receiver would always be appearing on HDMI 1 unless i unplugged the cable from the back of the receiver and plugged it back in.

I factory reset and bought a HDMI 2.0 Cable (Ibra brand on Amazon for about £5).

Never had a problem since.

risp123
Explorer

I don't think they are not compatible, since they both works sometimes even for 2 days. If they were incompatible I wouldn't expect it to work at all. I also tried different HDMI ports but no luck. I ordered new HDMI cables yesterday but I'm pretty sure it's not going to help.

Anyway since Android TV is disappointing in every way I ordered an Apple TV (4th gen) which should arrive tomorrow. The Apple TV supports HDMI CEC as well so I have another device to test. 

haberdavid

Does anyone has problems when playing movies with plex app?

When i am playing movies with the android apps that are installed on the tv the picture has little lags ( not smooth..)

Thanks

elraouk

Turn off direct play and direct stream in the android plex client. 
phiwer
Explorer

I bought the x85c a couple of days ago, and have already noticed a couple of issues I'd like to report, hoping that SONY will fix these issues in the coming updates.

1) The wifi disconnects after having the tv on stand-by for a couple of hours. I used DHCP, without static lease at first, but then I read this link where this error had already been reported. I previously fixed the issue by enabling/disabling the wifi, but then tried static lease on my router. As of yet it seems to be working fine (no need to enable/disable wifi), but I'll report back to this thread if the issue occurs again.

2) Netflix suffers from lipsync after having used the system a while. This is also present when I try to cast (using the built in google cast) using my android phone. I tried youtube and plex, to see if they too were facing the same issues but they both performed well. This link reports the lip sync issue as well, but also states that SONY needs more info. My question to SONY is: What other info do you need to possibly resolve this?

Tomorrow I'll insert my external chrome cast, to see if the issue also affects the HDMI ports...

On a side note: Does anyone know how the guarentee works with regards to these smart tv:s? At the moment, my tv is not working the way I expect it, and I'm considering returning it and I don't expect that to be a problem. But what I'm interested in, is how future updates of the system (say in a couple of years) may affect the tv and its functionality. Has anyone looked into this? (I'm based in Sweden so obviously regional rules and regulations apply)