Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
RodBRUK40

This is ridiculous! My TV was in the little light on, i turned on and fine sound and image, but the TV was totally not reponding the remote or the side buttoms, nothing change channels, change input, volume.  I had to unplug and plug back the TV to make back to work...

Is this a joke Sony? every firmware update you mess  it up more with the TVs!!!

elraouk

Have also found that remote (normal button one, not touch remote which I don't have) has started off being more responsive and is fine for general light use. 
However a number of times it has locked up in kodi or ES when I've been tapping buttons to scroll through long menus / lists.   Wait 30 seconds or so and it comes back to life. 
During this time tv won't respond to original Sony remote or my one for all (which works when tv not locked up). 
Hansieboyke
Explorer

Well, I left mine (KDL-43W805C) powered off last night after it bricked itself after the firmware update. Still same issue, the Sony logo appears, 2 seconds later it disappears then the Andoid OS swirly animation appears. 15-20 seconds into that the TV reboots and does the same thing over and over again.

The actual update process appeared fine however, it downloaded the update, I restarted it from the menu as directed to install the update, it rebooted, the firmware install graphic came up, stayed on that for about 15 minutes and then rebooted automatically. Now I have this boot/crash loop. I can't even do I reset since it crash-reboots whilst Android OS is loading.

What to do???

DarrellM
Explorer

Hansieboyke, Do you have the same issue as me as you have copied and pasted my earlier post verbatim:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/2015-bravia-android-tv-issues/m-p/2111541#M40560

The issue is still not resolved. I contacted Sony UK support and they have been "getting back to me" for 3 days now!. Useless support imho. 

Kevwoods12

Take it back. You're still in warranty. 

DarrellM
Explorer

It was bought from Currys PC World in June 2015. I have receipts. Do I take it back to them or persevere with Sony support?

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

elraouk wrote:
However a number of times it has locked up in kodi or ES when I've been tapping buttons to scroll through long menus / lists.   Wait 30 seconds or so and it comes back to life. 
During this time tv won't respond to original Sony remote or my one for all (which works when tv not locked up)

Tried new batteries in the remote? 

Hansieboyke
Explorer

Exactly the same problem!

elraouk

It's not the remote, as it starts working fine again after 30 seconds and, as I said, I tried another remote to check if it was a remote issue or tv issue. 
I've got two of these TVs and when it locks neither remote works (they are pretty new batteries too!). 
DarrellM
Explorer

Hansieboyke, right ok well, although that's bad, it's good to know that I'm not the only one. When/IF Sony support get back to me I will direct them here to your post so that they know it's not an isolated issue.  PM me your details if you like so I can get Sony Support on your case too.