Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
cozzykim

@willapp

For those thinking of replacing the Sony with Samsung, which I have already done, make sure that the replacement Samsung has a Samsung panel and not a Chinese AUO, or Sharp or Chunghwa panel.

Mine has an AUO panel, but there's no way to tell without looking at the service menu in some cases.

The genuine Samsung panel is undeniably better quality than the alternatives, so it's worth checking the AVForums Samsung threads to find out how to check before buying if you want to ensure a genuine Samsung LED panel.

I wish I'd have known this before buyting mine.

This is one area where Sony definitely has the edge - IMHO.

DarrellM
Explorer

@Hansieboyke  pm'd you

xenicus
Explorer

This. Exactly this.

I find that if I pause sky, go away for half an hour and come back. The TV will not respond to the remote and it takes a power off to fix it!

Brand new TV and I love it but this is going to cause problems...

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@elraouk wrote:
It's not the remote, as it starts working fine again after 30 seconds and, as I said, I tried another remote to check if it was a remote issue or tv issue. 
I've got two of these TVs and when it locks neither remote works (they are pretty new batteries too!). 

I've attained a great age; generally in life I've found it's not a good idea to nay-say something until I've tried it.

See my earlier post https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/2015-bravia-android-tv-issues/td-p/1949079/page/468 post #7 

I had exactly your problem , apparently, on reading your post. I don't have two remotes but do have the Sideview app on my phone. I wasn't expecting to have to change batteries either.

Kevwoods12

@DarrellM

Call curry's   you've bought a TV that sonys firmware update has bricked. You bought from them  they should sort it. Good luck. 

walshy5050

same problems here tv is  laging had to unplug it 2 times at the wall this is a joke off to curry to find out what my opions are.

SONY YOU ARE A JOKE  EVRY PEICE OF SONY TECH I HAVE BOURGHT I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS I SHOULD OF GONE WITH MY GUT INSTINCT BUT THE ANDROID PUSHED ME TO BUY. AFTER ALL THE BROKEN PROMISES THEY MADE WITH THE  PS VITA I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN.

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

Software of 2nd Feb Ver PKG3.179.0100EUA, installed no factory reboot as yet.

Findings.. Set much more responsive soon after switch on. But I have noticed two issues.

1) once it stopped responding to the remote, I waited as I had learned to do with old version, tried the restart by holding stby key down, the set went off to Black Screen, LED off Sound still running. Would not restart automatically. Switched on with remote, sound and picture but LED still off. Could not reset via stby button so went thro settings 'restart option' Seemed to clear the issues.

2) Then today using Kodi app, after many keypresses navigating thro menus. Remote froze and LED did not dim as usual on keypress, tried Sky remote volume settings didn't work either. Waited 30 seconds and remote started responding. Yes I have tried new batteries in the remote.. this is repeatable.

I see others reporting the remote issues in item 2) Sony need to address this. I was promised by the office of the European CEO, that my issues would be resolved with this update.. not all of them have, it's just a bit better.  Fix the remote freezing issue AND provide HDD & PAP as promised in March then I will be happy.

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@elraouk@ elraouk wrote:
Have also found that remote (normal button one, not touch remote which I don't have) has started off being more responsive and is fine for general light use. 
However a number of times it has locked up in kodi or ES when I've been tapping buttons to scroll through long menus / lists.   Wait 30 seconds or so and it comes back to life. 
During this time tv won't respond to original Sony remote or my one for all (which works when tv not locked up). 

I have exactly... this problem - new firmware installed. I'll have to write down all my settings and installed apps. and Kodi add ons, before I do a factory reset. Just to see.

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
willapp
Explorer

Well, all credit to John Lewis. Went in expecting a fight to exchange my TV given that it was outside their normal 90 day returns policy, but they read the engineers report stating it was a software fault and therefore not something they can fix, and basically said go and pick the one you want to replace it for!

Ended up spending a bit extra but I'll soon be the proud owner of a Samsung UE65JS8500 SUHD TV :slight_smile:

I highly recommend anyone having these issues gets in touch with their retailer and fights for a replacement - the only way Sony will stop treating its customers with such contempt to sell us poor quality products is if they suffer financially for it. I only wish I'd stuck to my instincts and bought the Samsung first time round.

7-Zark-7
Explorer

Applied the latest updatw last night and so far so good - seems to have improved Youview responsiveness and is also generally a little quicker at responding to things like volume button.

No problems with lipsync but I've never been able to set anything other than PCM output on my set - it's greyed out.

Too early to say if it's made the set more or less stable but stability was pretty good until now.  I only got the set a couple of weeks ago and immediately installed the update available at that time and thus missed a lot of the early bugginess and instability.