Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.PT.title
vas.rajav
Explorer

My remote also locks very often.

Usually when using it more intensively, like configuring the tv, or browsing the video library with a video app.

Nees to wait some 30 secs before the remote recovers its responsivness.

It is vey annoying.

IT is also a pitty that apps cannot output at 24 fps - seeing a 24fps movie at 60 fps is really dull.

Sonmy should allow apps to output at 24 fps as it happens with the native video APP, google video and netflix.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Deanfeuillade

What your describing seems to indicate DSE (Dirty Screen Effect) or clouding.  Not much of a solution im afraid other than replacement of TV.

http://uk.rtings.com/tv/tests/sports/gray-uniformity-dirty-screen-effect-dse

http://uk.rtings.com/tv/tests/movies/dark-scene/black-uniformity-clouding-flashlighting

Anonymous
Not applicable

Deanfeuillade

I wonder if that's why they aren't coming back to me with a fix !!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Deanfeuillade

Who knows :slight_smile:  but Sony will contact you now, most likely tomorrow or Thursday.

In general terms though, if the TV is under warranty and you have issues such as the one your describing, your first port of call is the retailer you purchased it from.  

profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

@dajones23

Hi,

Are you switching off the TV at the mains? If so, it will take time to boot up. During the time it boots up the remote will not respond. You need to wait at least 30 seconds from the instant the TV is switched on at the mains before the remote can be pressed to switch on the TV.

I hope this helps.

regards

profile.country.GB.title
thegman59
Explorer

I am having an Overscan Issue on my KD49C8005 2015 Android TV.

When on TV I have full access to the screen display options so I can turn the auto display area off and reduce the overscan to zero. However on TV or the HDMI inputs are the only areas I can confirm these options are available.

The second you launch the android interface or any of the android apps you loose this functionality.

The very reason I noticed this issue in the first place was watching YouTube. 

When watching the weekly Podcast 'WAN Show' at LinusTechTips, the display a lower third constantly throughout the show and I noticed that the logo on the bottom left of the screen was cut off by about 2%. Frustratingly it was at this time I noticed the Picture and Display options are extremly limited when outside of TV or Inputs. 

The only way I found to solve this was to launch into TV where my overscan settings had been saved then fire up the android launcher again (with the TV in the background, not the blue wave image) and then launching YouTube. Using this method did indeed solve the screen issue. I thought oh well, minor issue but its fixed now.

Putting the TV into standby and NOT turning it off I returned the next day resuming the TV from standby and it launches directly into the Android Launcher with the blue wave background. Loading YouTube again I found the problem had returned only to be fixed by returning to TV and launching YouTube once more, same as I had before. 

I have to do this EVERYTIME I want to launch any app on android TV and noticed it effects games as well. Testing on a few I noticed various on screen elements ever peaking over the edge or rubbing against the edge of the screen because the overscan is set to a default of 2.

My question is, are there any plans to resolve this issue in an upcoming update? This doesnt seam to be an issue with the Android component but more the Sony Developed Linux overlay used to control the settings of the panel, tuner and inputs. 

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

Ok, not to sound strange, but my TV turned itself on today.:smileycry: I only noticed as the white light indicator was flashing away. It was also totally unresponsive. :smileyquestion:The remote would not function at all either.

After 10 minutes I had to power down my whole set up, just to get it to turn off.:smileydevil:

Since turning it off fully, I have done a factory reset and have not signed into Google, as a precaution.

I had spent hours on installing all my apps, only to have to regularly have to start all over again.:smileyalert:

My set is a KD-49X830xC :smileyinfo:

It's bad enough that Sony have lied about us getting a HDR update and also getting the Video Unlimited Ultra app, but now my set is becoming unusable on a regular basis. :thinking:

I've been back to people I brought it off and they don't want to take it back or part exchange it, as their words where "we'd never get our money back on it" :nauseated_face:

Tragic.....:smileymrgreen:

Really wished I'd brought that immiyama and not this nonsense.

Kind regards :handshake:

Very angry :triumph:

Richard :laughing:

profile.country.GB.title
mawisem49
Explorer

"I've been back to people I brought it off and they don't want to take it back or part exchange it, as their words where "we'd never get our money back on it"

If you've bought this set as NEW and is still in warranty the seller cannot just turn their back on you, there are some stiff consumer rights and laws to protect us all. I suggest you go back through a few hundred pages and read the examples of how to challange this, it's all there, because your post reads like you've not done enough to get it sorted.

Deanfeuillade

Some guy called and emailed saying I needed to provide proof of purchase. So, yet another photo and another email has now been sent. Apparently they are going to look at arranging an in home technician. 

I hope he brings along his magic set as that's the only way he can fix light bleed !

i have also lodged the issue with Currys as I suspect I will need it replacing under the warranty.