Join now - be part of our community!

2016 XD93 won't connect to hidden wifi network

Punzie
Explorer

2016 XD93 won't connect to hidden wifi network

Hello Sony,

I recently purchased this brand new 55-inch XD93 4K UHD TV (KD55XD9305BU) and I love it but it won't connect to a hidden network... only the public ones. I have seen a lot of this issues on previous/older Sony models which were fixed with a FW update.

My older Sony KDL-40NX723 connects to the hidden network signal just fine, as does everything else in my home. It seems silly that Sony missed this one on their 2016 flagship product.

For now I have had to use a public alternative signal to connect it to the internet but the TV will not show up on my subnet as long as I do this. I could connect via ethernet but I would prefer not to add more cabling just for that reason.

If this could get a fix on a FW update, that would be great. Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have just tested this on my 2016 model (KD-55XD8577) and you are correct.  I cannot connect to a hidden SSID.  Tested on the 5Ghz range.

I will pass this onto Sony for them to fix.

Cheers

gebearm

I find the XD93 a TV that has a mind of its own and is very difficult to operate and self changes. How does one know if the set is connected to the Internet which is essential for software updates which this problematic TV should have had before being released. None of the inadequate reviews have mentioned the problems with this set.  At first a message used to appear saying connecting to internet or not connected to Internet this no longer occurs. I still have problems with switch on if the set has been switched off from the wall mains socket as opposed to being continually left on standby. I prefer to have the TV completely switched off during the night.. When switching off with the remote why does the sound not stop immediately but continues for some seconds.  

Punzie
Explorer

I'd suggest you probably need to factory reset. If it still continues you
may have a faulty unit. I think these things are very poorly assembled.
Sure they're state of the art (more or less), but these thin UHDTVs are
quite brittle these days. What is annoying me is the speed of the TV/OS -
from standby, it takes about a full minute for the TV to be responsive and
all the apps to cached. Even changing channel/input or viewing the guide -
make a cup of tea before coming back to these slow pieces of junk. I like
Android, but on TVs - suck. On phones, speedy fast. I don't know why in
this day and age technology companies don't know how to build all round
quality anymore and process user acceptance testing (quality assurance)
before retailing. It's just corporate greed now. Sorry for the rant, but
screw it. Sick of all the  these days in technology.

Edited for language - EdU

gebearm

Thanks for your reply, quite frankly I should bought a Samsung or Panasonic although I do not know if these t brands have any problems with latest models. IMO Sony have deliberately inrtoduced distortion so as to make one buy a soundbar. The sound is absolutely rotten, wish I had not gone for a android TV or 4K ,should have kept my excellent Samsung H7600 .
Punzie
Explorer

"deliberately inrtoduced distortion"

Nope. It's just physics. The sound unit itself is only capable of a certain output wattage thus, just as any audio output, will distort when pushed too its limit. I have no problem with the audio on the XD93. Yeah it isn't the best but it is satisfactory for the spec, but I certainly don't get any distortion.

Most smart TVs of this type regardless of brand would benefit from additional audio peripheral like a soundbar or a theatre sound system. These TVs just aren't built by design with "sound first" in mind but "visual expereience" and even if the market demands as such, it is a very difficult concept to achieve with these form factors.

Sony aren't too hot when it somes to sound R&D and production anyway as it isn't their focus. Go to other well known & leading brands for audio solutions. Thats why those options exist :slight_smile:

gebearm

I disagree, Audio has been my hobby for many years. Sony are amongst the world experts for sound reproduction from Studio mastering to AV receivers sacd & blue ray players their 5400ES AV receiver & sacd player which I have is superb. I find the sound from the XD93 especially speech is so bad that I just can not listen to it ,which is why I bought the very good Yamaha 1600 sound projector ,switching between the Yamaha & the TV set immediately shows how bad speech is from the TV. My previous Samsung 55" TV H6700 also a thin set had excellent sound, so good that seldom found it necessary to put the TV sound into my Hi-Fi system that has first class floor standing transmission line speakers. I made a very bad mistake by selling the Samsung which unlike Sony has very good customer support. Again IMO poor sound from the TV is quite deliberate there is no excuse for it ( just to sell soundbars) nothing to do with power rating ,you are fortunate that it does not bother you. Some of the reviews of the XD93 did find the sound harsh and it is most noticeable on speech. I paid £1850 for my XD93 55" ,now on sale in Costco for £1599.98 . 65" £2207.98 incl Vat.