Join now - be part of our community!

AF9 OLED black bars on the left/right edge

SOLVED
profile.country.HU.title
plasmacel
Explorer

AF9 OLED black bars on the left/right edge

I just bought a Bravia AF9 OLED (KD-55AF9) TV. I experience a very frustrating problem: When I watch content on my Apple TV using HDMI 2, or when I watch content using an android application, after some minutes a black bar (varying between 1-10mm in thickness) appears on the left or the right edge of the screen, virtually making the left or the right bezel larger. I can also notice flickering on edge of this broadened black area. When I go to the home screen using the HOME button on my remote, then back to the app or the Apple TV, then everyting goes back to normal, but after I time the problem occurs.

This is not only frustrating, but considering OLED, black bars with unused pixels is not good for the panel. Is this maybe a problem with upscaling? I don't know, but it should be examined and fixed in an upcoming firmware by Sony.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.HU.title
plasmacel
Explorer

Finally I realized that this phenomenon is the "Pixel Shift" feature of the TV, thus it's the expected behavior if the feature is turned on. There is also a Sony Support Article about it: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00173274

Issue solved.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi there,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

Can you try first to soft reset the TV by pressing and holding the green power button on the remote control until the TV shows "power off - shutting down".  Also, make sure the TV firmware is up to date.

If the issue is still not resolved it would be best to get in touch with the Support team here for further help.

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.HU.title
plasmacel
Explorer

Thanks Sean,

I have the latest firmware (v 6.0744).

I tried the soft reset just you described, it didn't help. Then I tried factory reset, now I have the same flickering black bar on the top, then later on the left - I think its position is varying (left, right, top, bottom). On of my theories is that the firmware fails to properly center the display area so the result is an off-center picture - however this doesn't explain the flickering.

Here is a picture of the issue when it is on the right side (check the thickness of the right black bar compared to the left).

IMG_1814.JPG

Tomorrow I will get in touch with the support.

profile.country.HU.title
plasmacel
Explorer

Finally I realized that this phenomenon is the "Pixel Shift" feature of the TV, thus it's the expected behavior if the feature is turned on. There is also a Sony Support Article about it: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00173274

Issue solved.