Join now - be part of our community!

Android 7.0 (Nougat) Update - Discussion Thread

profile.country.GB.title
diodorus

Android 7.0 (Nougat) Update - Discussion Thread

I just read about the upcoming Nougat update for (US?) sony TVs, for example the KDX8300D.

Any idea if this will also happen at the same time for the (UK?) XD83, and if so if this will fix the 5.1 issues?

Thanks!

346 REPLIES 346
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@Kuschelmonschter

I'm guessing that USB is still :poop: as before but what about DD pasthrough? Does it work or not? And sideloading apps? I've read somewhere that those also don't work anymore under nougat.

profile.country.GB.title
tractor9

Updated via USB this morning. A first seemed slow but after restarting android everything was much smoother. TV updated was a KDL-43x8305c.

I did not do a factory reset before or after the update or change any settings. I don`t use a USB Hd but network a couple of NAS devices via wireless. All have proformed correctly along with the apps I have installed. From start to finish it took about 45mins although the actual update was about 30mins. Of course I disgreed and diabled SAMBA.

Only noticable change is the settings menu and faster response changing YouView channels but there must of been more done under the bonnet as everything I tried worked faultlessly. Even the surround sound via my AV receiver is much improved. My conculusions are made after 7-8 hours of use only time will prove if I`ve been dubted.

profile.country.RO.title
cathedral_72
Explorer

Yesterday I came home and found out that the new firmware v5.381 was already updated on my TV . I have an KD-55X8005C (2015 version). From the beggining I can tell you that I had a very bad experience witgh this new firmware.

Yesterday I wanted to watch an tennis match on my satellite set top box Vu+ Uno 4K and found out with stupefaction that I have no more HDMI signal input found. I have to mention that I have four devices connected on my TV. An X-box, an Yamaha A/V receiver, an PC and an Satellite Set Top Box. I didn't know what was happening, and also I didn't know about this firmware update, because I was not watching about firmware updates. It was set to make automatically the updates. Now I found this forum and red all the threads about this new firmware, and also I want to share with you my bad experience with this firmware. So, below are the MAJOR main problems found out till now:

1. No more HDMI signal input on any HDMI source ( I tried everything)

2. A lot of digital cable TV programs are not working anymore. ( I did also an new scan, but the result was the same).

3. Many digital Cable TV programs remaining which can be watched, have bad signal, (the image glitches a lot, I have many macroblocks) , so from 186 TV programs , I have 24 which are working normally now.

4. The TV is very slow now, so going through apps and settings is a very bad experience, everything works very slow.

I have to remind that I did also an factory reset to try this option also. Nothing works. Now I can not watch TV programs anymore and can not use any other HDMI input which makes my TV a piece of junk. I am very frustrated because I paid a lot of money on this TV 3 years ago, and I trusted the quality of Sony products.

If you have any Idea, please help me, I'm desperate. Please tell me how to go back to the previous firmware, where everything worked fine, and I really don't understand when something is working ok why is needed an update which breaks everything. I think that these updates must stay in tests by the development teams from Sony longer time, and when they found that everything works OK, then have to launch the update on the market, not to make betatesting with us, the final customers. I have to protest firmly against these bad habits, and I'll hope that someone from technical department to read this carefully. Please help! I want to use my TV again, because we are a big family.

profile.country.GB.title
tomallen35

I've now factory reset both my TV and my amp as suggested by Sony UK Customer Service on Twitter, but Bravia Sync and ARC are still completely broken. 

I'm not sure what else to try now and am running out of patience with it.

One option available to me is that my TV is still under warranty with John Lewis so if I can't get it working, it's going back.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Same here. HDMI is totally broken here. Need to switch input several times before I get a picture from my Apple TV 4K. I constantly get communication errors on HDMI ARC. Have to replug the soundbar to get sound out of it. This update is a total disaster for me, with the TV being even less usable than before. I really hope that Sony is soon gone from the market. Software quality on those TVs is totally underwhelming. Is anybody over at Sony actually testing this stuff? Unbelievable...

profile.country.GB.title
tomallen35

I'm still messing about, doing yet more factory resets, changing cables and nothing.

At this point I would like to hear from Sony. This firmware is clearly causing problems and I personally would like a rollback to the previous version as the TV is now unusable in its current state

profile.country.GB.title
tractor9

Tomallen35

If you connect all your HDMI through your AV receiver it could be a problem with the receiver. I had a very simular problem once with the AV receiver HDMI passthrough card packing up.

Seems strange that the update happened unattened as the TV needs to be turned on and confirm it`s OK to continue, only the update file is downloaded  automatically.

My TV update went well but I updated via USB maybe there is a problem with the automatic update or the download had an error although it should have been automatically checksummed. Best of luck sorting it out.

profile.country.GB.title
tomallen35

When you had trouble with your HDMI passthrough on your amp, were you able to still get a picture from the amp?

Everything is working fine for me besides ARC and HDMI control/Bravia Sync

Also, how did you go about getting it fixed?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
ronind
Explorer

Finally updated today. All seems to be ok. I'm a bit disappointed in that it looks basically the same. Was hoping for a nice UI change. I know, some people are never happy! It's just a bit of an anti climax haha.

profile.country.GB.title
Hellneo1
Explorer

same issues here berto! but i also have issues connecting my pc to enhanced performance from external inputs i used to have it ON all the time but after the update it wont show any display unless i switch it back to standard mode... i have an old HDMI CABLE but i used to have that feature with that cable before the update any suggestions??