Join now - be part of our community!

Android 7.0 (Nougat) Update - Discussion Thread

profile.country.GB.title
diodorus

Android 7.0 (Nougat) Update - Discussion Thread

I just read about the upcoming Nougat update for (US?) sony TVs, for example the KDX8300D.

Any idea if this will also happen at the same time for the (UK?) XD83, and if so if this will fix the 5.1 issues?

Thanks!

346 REPLIES 346
profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

Did an over air install, all ok so far except now I get an annoying wait for the sound after fast forwarding sky recordings.

When I press play I get the picture immediately but have to wait for 2 or 3 seconds for sound, doesn't sound much I know but it is really annoying could there be a remedy in settings?

profile.country.GB.title
tractor9

Tomallen35

when my HDMI passthough packed up I had no signal at all from the receiver until I went optical, not using the Receivers hdmi just normal tv using the optical for sound. Nothing would get through when connected via the receivers HDMI. It may be worth connecting up straight to the TV to confirm the TV`s at fault and not the Receiver.

profile.country.GB.title
degrego88
Explorer

3D broken since update glasses syncing then loosing sync  flashing etc..various reports on Avforums user thread about it...a fix would be nice Sony..not happy ..EDIT none of my 3 pairs of Sony glasses will sync now

profile.country.GB.title
andreas8505c
New

I did a update from usb last night. Model x8505c. Everything worked fine but after update I can not access the dashboard/ press the home button. I read a previous thread regarding update failure from last year where the solution was to clear the cache from the "system update process", It didnt work...

Any ideas? Do I really need to do a factory reset?

profile.country.GB.title
fd89-7hhgo
Explorer

KD-55X8005C (2015 version)

I'm going to go against the grain here.

So far the update has seen a major improvement in the overall response to the remote control and functions. Little things, no longer having to point the remote directly at the centre of the TV.  I think I've got a TV that works like a TV at last.

Perhaps someone finally removed all the debugging!

For a laugh I tried the Amazon application, this is still best avoided. Thankfully I'm not reliant on the Android applications. 

profile.country.GB.title
justmakeitwork
Explorer

Hello,
I have many problems now that were caused with your newest Software version PKG5.313.0160NAB (Nougat) for my Sony XBR-65X850C. Sony's customer support have been no help at all. This has been extremely stressful.
Quick background. I am an expert with your Sony Android TV Software as have gone through the UI throughly now many times. My TV worked "perfectly" when I bought it a few months ago with Android Lolliop v5.1.1 installed. Everything worked fine for me. Two weeks ago I updated the software as Sony "recommends" (I think it was the Marshmallow v 6.0) and it completely broke (bricked!) my TV in a reboot loop. Because, you cannot go back to previous software versions, you cannot back up settings or apps, the standard major solution Sony gives currently is to completely replace the motherboard (same exact board, just reloaded firmware from warehouse testing). Fast forward two weeks and got the board replaced and the latest (forced again) software update version of the Nougat 7.0, which directly caused the following issues...

Here now are the unresolved NEW issues specifically with latest Nougat Software version PKG5.313.0160NAB (remember, these all worked perfectly with Lollipop v5.1.1 version and were caused by this new current update):

~ You no longer can Write to and access your external USB flash drive using any file manager app (e.g. ES Explorer Pro) and move, copy, delete, rename, transfer, etc. files. This also disables being able to Install any non play store apps now with any file manager. The system & apps now ask to grant app permission, ("choose Ext SD card directory to grant permissions to operate") but there is no way provided to do this. (always shows as "task failed") I have contacted 12 Android file manager developers, and they all say the Sony Android "TV" software causes this malfunction now. (other Android 7.0 OS devices apparently do not have this problem or they have a "com.android.doumentsui" app that you can enable that can solve such an issue. Sony Android TV does Not have this app, so the new issue can't be fixed from the app developers side.) Android Lollipop 5.1.1 could do this and functioned Perfectly. This has been corrupted in Marshmallow and Nougat.

~The TV speakers volume level "System sounds" output (in decibels) sporadically changes and unstable when switching to any screen. e.g. A volume level of 80 in home screen is audible, but when you open say the Video app, or Youtube app, the audio sound level, in Decibels, is way too loud. The screen bar still says 80. You change that level to 30, (which happens to be the Same decibel Output as 80 in another screen), and then go to another screen the sound is way to low and you must turn up level to 80 again to hear system sounds when using remote to move around. These are NOT app specific, as the random TV speaker volume output changes from loud to soft, or soft to loud, even when doing the same app switches, in any direction. (sometimes going to home screen volume changes loud, sometimes going to it goes too soft). All sound, speaker, input variable, advanced settings, etc. on the TV have been tried, tested and verified with 2nd level Sony techs. Is does not fix the issue.

~Settings/Apps now to not have a "running apps" section. The prior software had Horizontal rows (which you could see more apps with Much less scrolling, as it used the full TV screen) had 3 rows: downloaded, system, and Running apps. Now there is a tiny right screen Vertical menu (most screen display real estate is now unused) and you cannot see what apps are running, unless you select and open every single app individually to see if it's open or closed. Thus any diagnostics for app TV issues is much more difficult to source out. Crucial to have a running apps row again.

~"Watch TV" app is no longer available in Home Screen Recommendations. (you have How to watch TV, remote Tutorial, and others that our never needed after first setup, that you can choose to see on the recommend row, but the Watch TV block icon choice is gone now in this software. This was the ONLY Home Screen Rec. I (and others) enabled in the older software, as it is the best way to get to your TV from the home screen. (Action menu/Watch TV is NOT available in Home Screen. Action/Watch TV IS available while actually Watching the TV. (HUH?) ) Since you cannot order the Inputs on Home Screen, now the only way to get to the TV from the Home Screen using the Touch Remote is forced scroll down, and far right input ( in my setup) just to get to TV from Home. "Watch TV app is still there in the system apps but was removed from recommendations menu" apparently. This absolutely needs reverted back to previous function. (the TV button on large remote is not a solution for me. I have had that large remote put away and have only used the Touch from the time I bought this TV) Also, if there ARE no recommendations, that row needs to completely go away. NO warning screen permanently needed. An Action Menu/Watch TV choice on the "Home Screen" would help also.

~When in the stock Video app and watching a video, now a USB connected mouse cannot control the video play/pause/cue buttons anymore. This worked in the previous software. Now if you want to cue a movie say an hour into it, you cannot do this other than hold the remote button and fast forward for a long time. [ ENGINEERS clue for fixing this: Previous software had a Video app Aspect Ratio issue where to achieve the Correct ratio, you needed to go to Action/Video/"Information" screen then back out and the correct AR was generated. Now, the correct AR is fixed but, to get back the broken USB mouse function you need to do the same Action/Video/Information and back out and the mouse works again. Thus, the fix for the Video aspect ratio corrupted the USB mouse function] This should help them quickly find and fix this particular new issue.

~FTP file transfer no longer works. Previous OS software allowed to view and transfer remote computer files using FTP. Now only SFTP works minimally and unstable, and is 7 times slower than the FTP connect that worked before. FTP server access needs to be working again.

Other continuous issues that need addressed:

~The most needed and obvious ones: Ability to revert to previous Software Update. "Incremental" updates that only fix specific issues and can be uninstalled, (NO major full OS updates that are "non-reversable" and full of problems.) Backups- settings, data, apps… to external USB drive or cloud, does not matter. These actions would eliminate countless incredible time, frustration, and problems across all levels.

~Dreamscape (or the Screen saver) needs to work in the Video app. Doesn't trigger. And "Chromecast built-in learn more" dialog does NOT have to be permanently stamped on every screensaver page.

~Change Order of inputs on Home Screen needed. (this has not been an option with any software versions)

~Option to change Home Screen background wallpaper. (forced ugly Brown in current software now.)

~Be able to choose the apps that show on the Home Screen. All apps, not just some of the Play Store ones, and control to Not show forced Featured apps that will Never ever be used.

~ Be able to change the order of USB external drives in the Discovery Bar Video app added row.

~Discovery Bar Albums app row will not display photos that are on your external USB drive. (all photos are compatible files) I can access the photos when I Open the Album app, so we know the app recognizes them, but the Discovery Bar is broken as it will not show photos that are truly on the USB drive.

It seems just ludicrous that these issues were actually created by Sony software update, not properly tested, and most astonishingly, with no possible return to a working Sony Android TV system. Being a Sony fan for 30 years plus now and buying all their components over others for so long I have completely lost faith. So disappointed. Don't know what else to do to get back what was there or fix the new problems.

profile.country.GB.title
tomallen35

Progress!

I managed to get ARC and CEC working with my XD93 and DN1040 again.

I plugged another TV into the amp using the exact same cables and that worked. So I plugged the cables back into the XD93 and hey presto, ARC and CEC working again.

At this point I can only assume that plugging it into another TV reset whatever nonsense HDMI handshaking goes on. 

Tedious, but fixed.

profile.country.GB.title
whatleydude

Updated via USB. 

KD55X9305C. All fine! :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
joao64
Explorer

Agree but i think there’s more

1 -There used to be a setting in color management : Dinamic range (Limited \ auto\ full)

Now this disappeared . I have the 55x850c  and it was crucial to keep always that in limit  ‘cos full would ruin the image. Now image seams to have the issues related to the full option

2- the intensity of  brightness is now over last. That’s why I now must change under  motion sub menu from  disabled (motionflow) to   1 (the second slider) to get almost the same brightness and being able to get a “nice” image again . The  biggest problem is I can not correct

Now the dinamic range from full to limited

3- the automatic word in color setting for digital tv now show 2 options  :bt 2020 &bt 709

The bt2020 is broken so nothing changed & you can only get  the same bt709 under the now not present word :automatic

1+2= worst image

Needs a fix to get the dinamic color range setting back again !

3= cosmetics

Joao

profile.country.GB.title
joao64
Explorer

3D sony glasses don't pair now (x55850c)

But panasonic compatible still work

So we have a "funy" not so funy situation here: a sony product broke a sony service on a sony product but didn't broke other brand product service for the same sony product and service

FIX IT