Join now - be part of our community!

(Android 8.0 Oreo bug) XF9005 reboot automatically when turn on the TV in Oreo update

profile.country.GB.title
wuyuankai

(Android 8.0 Oreo bug) XF9005 reboot automatically when turn on the TV in Oreo update

Hi

I updated my TV to Oreo, it's working fine except that after a long period of standing by, when I turn the TV on, it will show the Home Screen for 1 sec, then it reboots it self, it shows Sony logo then Android logo animation, it taks 1 min or so to boot.

If I hit power to go to standby and turn it back on again, or in a short amount of time, it won't reboot itself, I only notice this after a long period of time of stand by, e.g. turn on TV next day, it will go to this boot cycle.

My setup:

XF9005 on Oreo V6.5830 android, connect Sonos Beam with ARC, connected to internet by Wifi

Sony could you confirm if this is a known bug in the update?

195 REPLIES 195
profile.country.GB.title
wingston

When you connect the soundbar to ARC, do you also suffer from the volume indicator being really slow to show or sometime not at all?

I completely agree this thing is hugely frustrating because the TV's picture quality is really good but just plagued by crap like this.  I bought mine from John Lewis and unfortunately they said they can't do anything because it is a software fault. (Which is my opinion is rubbish because as a customer it makes no difference to me whether it's software or hardware!)

How did you get in touch with Sony support because I can't find their contact info anywhere? 

profile.country.US.title
Conodihno

It’s a product that is not working properly like on the day you bought it and is as advertised.
Take it back tot the seller or Sony and demand a fix,refund or trade. It may take a long while but for me it was worth it. Got a new model in return,disabled all automatic updates and enjoying ever since.

profile.country.GB.title
Woody1001
profile.country.GB.title
mdotrahman9

If you're using a soundbar connected via ARC, then you can't disable Bravia Sync (HDMI-CEC) as ARC relies on HDMI-CEC — If you look back a few pages to this thread then you will understand why

Other devices that use Bravia Sync (HDMI-CEC)—to send and receive commands to and from the TV—also create the same reboot issues. I'm now almost certain the issue is to do with Bravia sync. Like I said I've been running the TV for a month without a single reboot with Bravia Sync disabled, but this is unacceptable to have to disable a feature which should work as expected.

I don't want to follow this up with Sony as I do not have the time nor patience and for the moment will wait and see if it's fixed with a future update. I bought my TV from John Lewis with 5 yr wrnty but I will chase it up if I have to in the end.

If anyone contacts Sony then it would be helpful if they can refer them to this thread and quote a few posts from here. I actually don't think they're interested in spending resources to fix this issue or they would have done so with the last update which claims to:

Improves the TV’s responsiveness when switching on from standby (Firmware update to v6.6555)

What a shame!

profile.country.GB.title
Woody1001

Unfortunately my problem and ongoing case with Sony has been going on since September last year with no resolution despite engineer visits and swapping out my Sonos Beam Soundbar for a replacement new one from Sonos because Sony said it wasn’t a problem with the TV and they blamed Sonos because it only happens when the Sonos soundbar is connected 🙄

So I thought I would persevere today and actually spoke to someone at Sony about my case and they unbelievably said that there is no known problem with my model TV even though the problem has been reported on the Sony Forum and acknowledged. I have a KD 55 A1 (I know this is a different model number than subject but it is the same problem as OP with the Sonos Beam and the same current firmware number v6.6555) which I purchased from Currys in December 2018 for £2500 (so called flagship product at the time) with 5 year Sony warranty as standard and it worked fine until they did the Oreo update. They even had the cheek to say that because it is over 6 months old they will have to register a new case and I will have to have another engineer call out. I said it wasn’t my problem it took so long to get an engineer out. So again I am waiting for nobody to call me back again as promised and probably after about the 5th or 6th time of chasing I will have to factory reset then get another engineer out to tell me that there is nothing wrong with and that there is no point taking away to repair.

I explained to them I want a replacement or refund but they won’t acknowledge the issue on my tv. I know what they have been trying to do for the last 9 months is keep stalling me hoping it will be fixed in a update which has never happened. I know I have been too polite and patient with them which is my own fault as I have always felt you get a better response dealing with people this way but obviously not with Sony and I would advise anyone to think about purchasing Sony based on my experience. Great product but just pray nothing goes wrong with it and don’t automatically allow updates in settings.

ps they also had the nerve to ask me to complete an automated customer survey questionnaire after the call!

pps you never know they may actually call me back to tomorrow as promised and offer me a satisfactory resolution! 

profile.country.US.title
Conodihno

I know it’s a real pain to go through there wall of brick that is called customer service..... frustrating and a real pain in the behind. I got in touch after a few months with a guy behind the customer service, escalation team or whatever because I contacted them via whatever social media platform I could find and kept sending them pictures and movie clips of my 65xe9005 rebooting several times a day. Good luck with not saying there is a problem.

Do not give up. Oh and you are correct to not buy a Sony tv again. This will be my last one also....

profile.country.GB.title
Woody1001

@Conodihno 
You couldn’t make this up. This is the reply I just got. No call back just this so obviously not even looked at my call or history. 

Dear Mr. Woodford,

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

Regarding your enquiry for your Sony KD-55A1, please be advised that after escalating the matter to the relevant department, they have informed us that the issue you are facing with your TV, where no sound comes out from the soundbar connected to the ARC port, is an issue that the engineers are currently working on resolving, however, they have released some workarounds for the issue, until we have further information regarding the matter.

Please try the first workaround and observe the TV, if the issue persists, try the second one and observe the TV, and so on, then send us your feedback.

Note: Please set the Audio system prioritisation to (ON) before doing the workarounds below, from
Home-Settings-Sound-Audio system prioritisation.

First Workaround:
1-Turn off your audio device using the audio remote control
2-Turn off your TV using the TV remote control
3-Turn on your TV using the TV remote, and the soundbar will turn on automatically via the Bravia Sync function which is explained in the article below:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00126149

Second Workaround:
1-Change the speakers settings by going to Home-Settings-Sound-Speakers-TV speaker.
2-Turn off the TV with the TV remote control.
3-Turn on the TV with the TV remote control, and the speakers settings will switch to (Audio system) automatically. via the Bravia Sync Function.

Third Workaround:
1-Set the Bravia Sync control option to on by going to HOME-Settings-External inputs-BRAVIA Sync settings-BRAVIA Sync control.
2-Select (YES) when (Remove recognized devices from the list) is displayed
Note: The Bravia Sync control will be switched off.
3-Select Bravia sync control again to switch it on
Note: The Speakers settings will switch to (Audio system) automatically.

Fourth Workaround:
Reset the TV https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00114591

profile.country.NL.title
Rico112

@Woody1001 i have same isseu on my kd-49xg8169 i connect my beam whit optical adapter thats best workaround. i have also done a test whit my old samsung soundbar connect to arc have no issue. 

profile.country.GB.title
wingston

Just out of interest. When I connect the Beam through ARC the volume indicator is also very laggy, does it happen on the samsung soundbar as well?

profile.country.NL.title
Rico112

@wingston on samsung soundbar looks normal ( i think ) beam not test it runs via optical cable on back of my tv i can als turn vollume up and down via optical works perfect but its strange arc not working whit beam and samsung works perfect