Join now - be part of our community!

Android TV 1 (very) poor Network performance

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

Android TV 1 (very) poor Network performance

Hi guys,

just a new thread to tell you guys how I am disappointed (sort of) with my new Android TV from Sony KD65XD9305.

I just bought this TV with a pretty great discount (2000€) and picture quality is very good.

For Android TV, I find it stable and fine. The main reason I chose Sony was for Android TV (I didn't wanted WebOS or Tizen).

So as I use the TV ONLY with network stored media, I plugged the Ethernet cable to get something reliable and fast...

HORROR !!! Ethernet port is not Gigabit... Sony are you kidding me ??? How do you plan to stream 4K HDR content to the TV with 100 Mb link ???

Let's do some math : Movie 2h00 / 63 GB = 64512MB to send to TV in 2 Hr so / 7200 = 9 Mb /s we are pretty close of the max we can output on 100mb network so as the bitrate is variable and some actions scene require much more of it you get bad picture lag and audio drop in half of the movie.

To confirm that it was not decoding problem, I putted the file on an external HDD plugged directly into the TV and had no problem at all.

So I wrote you a mail Sony, to explain that to you... 1 week later I got a person with no knowledge whatever who told me that I needed to run a speedtest because it was my internet (WAN) connection that was slow.

Just LOL ^^

I told myself that I was doomed.

So I search again and discovered that the Onboard wifi was 5 Ghz AC compatible. Maybe a way out.

So I droped my Cisco Meraki 300N Wifi and I got a TPLink Archer C7 C1750 (so it meens 900 Mb theorical on AC 5 Ghz)

It could have solved my bandwith problem on local network !!!

And guess what... it didn't because I think wifi chip or driver or ??? is total crap...

The TV is at less than 1 meter of the access point (no wall...), connected at 5 Ghz and I can't get download bandwith to a minimum of 100 Mb (a joke).

If I do the same test from the same spot with the same app at the same time on the same wifi of the same network with my phone (Google Nexus 6P) I get approx 230 mb of bandwith.

Screen cap are just at the bottom

What do you want to answer to that ???

So your Smart TV of 2016 is just to slow to play a 4k movie of 2016 (I tried Mad Max and Deadpool) on local network (no matter how good network connection is, I have full gigabit network at home).

So now my very precise question : Do you plan to adress this problem Seriously upgrading Wifi driver / firmware to get real fast connexion (as I am sure you cannot upgrade wired card to gigabit with software upgrade) ?

I am available if you need more statistics and / or informations with the test environment.

Bandwith on TVBandwith on Phone

116 REPLIES 116
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@nicogri you did a very good job even if reading that i should be happy made me think you have got a better result. Your post has been already escalated,  what i Could do in the mean time is Checking on my side if i get a different outcome 

Merry xmas anyway :slight_smile:

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@nicogri I did myself some homework during the holidays...

It's not something that confute your job, but demonstrate that you still can enjoy high quality 4K streaming via network.

I only succeed in getting the same movie (I'm deleting it after the tests also because it's in english and I'm italian :))  but at a lower bitrate (30mbps) same resolution (25GB disk file).

You can see on the iMac stats, the network traffic shows almost 6MBper sec (that's 48Mbps) both incoming and outgoing (since serviio is getting the file from NAS and sending it to the TV)

Schermata 2016-12-26 alle 14.17.11.png

Schermata 2016-12-26 alle 15.52.53.png

Attached (hoping it can be seen) is the movie on the TV (obviously you cannot evaluate the quality of a 4K video shot via a FHD mobile camera and compressed to 480p due to web limitation...) and it goes without any stuttering and really amazing in quality.

Ok your movie is far better at 60mbps but, if you want enjoy UHD bluray quality, probably you should buy an UHD blueray player

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

Hi @rooobb

Hope your doing well 😉

Your tests confirms mine. If you need 48 Mbps to output 25Gb movie so I need 2.52 that to output 63 Gb same movie and that make 120 Mbps... Just above the 90+ the TV can offer on Ethernet...

That being said I can live with lower bitrate files.

I am just (really) sad that I have been lied to by Sony who says that the TV is Wifi AC with 866 Mbps of bandwith when I see that I mearly have 50 Mbps.

I know that Wifi bandwith is always theorical but common at 50cm / 1m distance I was waiting a minimum of 200 Mbps and that is what we should have.

The bandwith on Wifi is clearly a bug / malfunction of the TV and I don't know if Sony is gonna do something about it ?

That being said maybe some day I buy a 4K blueray player when they are more afordable but that means I need to buy movies and I already buy a very expensive TV ^^.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Hi @nicogri everything is fine with me :slight_smile:

As I wrote my own test was not against yours and I was far from the limit of the network capability. Beside the movie stream bit rate you were using also an heavy audio stream but that said you may be right with the WiFi capability. Let see if sony make something about your results.... 

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

So little update...

I got an other call from a Sony representative about the support ticket previously opened.

The person did'nt had any additional knowledge that the one I had one phone the first time.

She told me that if I have bandwith problem it was due to my Internet connexion

lol f$*$ck what the hell !!!!

So I repeated to her that I was talking about local network speed problem and that I had performed lots of tests and posted them here.

She told me that she was gonna recheck with her support and get back to me.

Sony support is ***** me more and more...

Why can they not aknoledge this evident problem with the performance of theire wifi controller ?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Yes. Their support has no technical knowledge. It is totally pointless to talk to them.

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

Hi,

Did some of you guys heard from a more informed sony rep. ?

thankkkssssss

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @nicogri

I understand that you have been in contact with Sony Support - Is things going OK or have communications stalled?

Cheers

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

Nothing on my side since my last post here relating an other non conclusive call when the rep was theoricaly escalating the problem.

I think that they've forget me

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @nicogri

I have found the original escalation request and have posted back to Sony for them to contact you again as this is still an issue.

Cheers