Join now - be part of our community!

Android TV 1 (very) poor Network performance

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

Android TV 1 (very) poor Network performance

Hi guys,

just a new thread to tell you guys how I am disappointed (sort of) with my new Android TV from Sony KD65XD9305.

I just bought this TV with a pretty great discount (2000€) and picture quality is very good.

For Android TV, I find it stable and fine. The main reason I chose Sony was for Android TV (I didn't wanted WebOS or Tizen).

So as I use the TV ONLY with network stored media, I plugged the Ethernet cable to get something reliable and fast...

HORROR !!! Ethernet port is not Gigabit... Sony are you kidding me ??? How do you plan to stream 4K HDR content to the TV with 100 Mb link ???

Let's do some math : Movie 2h00 / 63 GB = 64512MB to send to TV in 2 Hr so / 7200 = 9 Mb /s we are pretty close of the max we can output on 100mb network so as the bitrate is variable and some actions scene require much more of it you get bad picture lag and audio drop in half of the movie.

To confirm that it was not decoding problem, I putted the file on an external HDD plugged directly into the TV and had no problem at all.

So I wrote you a mail Sony, to explain that to you... 1 week later I got a person with no knowledge whatever who told me that I needed to run a speedtest because it was my internet (WAN) connection that was slow.

Just LOL ^^

I told myself that I was doomed.

So I search again and discovered that the Onboard wifi was 5 Ghz AC compatible. Maybe a way out.

So I droped my Cisco Meraki 300N Wifi and I got a TPLink Archer C7 C1750 (so it meens 900 Mb theorical on AC 5 Ghz)

It could have solved my bandwith problem on local network !!!

And guess what... it didn't because I think wifi chip or driver or ??? is total crap...

The TV is at less than 1 meter of the access point (no wall...), connected at 5 Ghz and I can't get download bandwith to a minimum of 100 Mb (a joke).

If I do the same test from the same spot with the same app at the same time on the same wifi of the same network with my phone (Google Nexus 6P) I get approx 230 mb of bandwith.

Screen cap are just at the bottom

What do you want to answer to that ???

So your Smart TV of 2016 is just to slow to play a 4k movie of 2016 (I tried Mad Max and Deadpool) on local network (no matter how good network connection is, I have full gigabit network at home).

So now my very precise question : Do you plan to adress this problem Seriously upgrading Wifi driver / firmware to get real fast connexion (as I am sure you cannot upgrade wired card to gigabit with software upgrade) ?

I am available if you need more statistics and / or informations with the test environment.

Bandwith on TVBandwith on Phone

116 REPLIES 116
profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

It is very very kind of you.

But if it is "the usual" I am gonna be contacted by a under qualified phone support level 1 who is gonna tell me that I have a problem because my internet connection is slow (pre scripted answer)

The far better solution will be that a people with a real technical knowledge (level 2+) take a look at this full thread, check the charts, the pictures and then call me with non scripted Q/A.

I will be glad to perform more testings and help if I can to get a real working solution for this low Wifi downstream solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would have expected Sony to send you an email with detailed questions for you to answer as well as any other information that is relevent - so they can investigate thoroughly.  But it doesnt appear that this is the case.  Agreed - Level 1 support is not going to be able to help/solve this. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @nicogri

According to Sony, they have tried to contact you a number of times - leaving a message on your answering machine.  I am unsure on what voice message and whether they left a contact phone number or other details for you to get in touch.  Please let me know.

Contact Log:

We received the request on : 28/12/2016.

CST has been contacted on 03/01/2017 & he asked to escalate the case to a higher technical departement.

04/01/2017 : the agent tried to contact the CST, he was not available & agent left a voice message to CST.

05/01/2017 : Tried to contact the CST again with no answer so e-mail sent to CST asking for a preferred CB time & phone number.

09/01/2017 : Tried to contact the CST again & still no answer so voice message left again.

Cheers

plexman
Explorer

Hi,

After reading your thread I decided to test the wifi on my sony 43xd8077.

Over 5GHz wifi i'm getting 230mbps down and 180mbps up. For reference my router is a Netgear R6250. I also ran the test to another router - virgin media super hub 2ac and that also gave me roughly the same speeds.

I've also tested over 2.4GHz and that was getting around 60-70mbps up and down.

I'm not sure if our tvs share the same wireless chipset as I believe the 43xd8077 was release a bit later on in 2016. 

This might be a long shot but I also had a TPLink Archer C7 router before I got my tv and that had speed problems with my lg g3 andoid phone but was fine with my motorola style andiod phone. I unded up swapping it out for the netgear.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

XD80 is indeed different from a chipset (ATV2 platform) point-of-view. It has the newer MediaTek MT5891 (MT5596). WiFi controller is unknown to me.

XD93 is based on the old 2015 BRAVIA (ATV1) platform with MT5890 (MT5595) and MT7612 WiFi Controller, which is hooked up to the SoC only via USB2.0. I can think of a lot of bottlenecks on the old platform. It is probably better on the new ATV2.

Which of the 2 SoC's is actually faster CPU wise is not easy to answer, depending on the application. MT5890 features dual-core ARM Cortex A17 (@1GHz) and the MT5891 features quad-core ARM Cortex A53 (@1.1GHz). An A17 (being a "big" core of the previous ARM generation) is quite a bit faster than an A53 (being "LITTLE" core of the current ARM generation) though, so single-threaded applications might very well run faster on the older A17.

Also keep in mind that XD80 already runs Android Marshmallow with probably updated MediaTek drivers. So we can still hope for the old platform...

plexman
Explorer

Thanks for the information. Also just checked out your site regards the sony andoid tv, very informative.

This might not be the best thread to ask but does anybody have any issues streaming amazon prime 4k video on their 2016 sony tv's?

I get minor stuttering every 10-20 seconds via wired or wifi. It's actually worse via wifi even though my wifi speeds are over double my wired speeds. Netflix 4K is fine.

I'm not sure if it's a problem with the tv, the amazon app on the tv or amazons servers.

profile.country.FR.title
nicogri

@AnonymousI cald them back when they left me a message but nor they don't log incomming calls or I don't know.

The time match my post on page 3 when I said I got a call with bull***** explanation

I tried 2 different AP so far... Cisco Meraki N and Archer C7 AC both on 2.4 and 5Ghz band and always had limited download bandwith to 42 Mbps so I think it is a problem with wifi chip of ATV1

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

in Italy we have only grand tour on Amazon prime both 4k and hdr. I noticed that first play of it it shows various problem (stuttering or black display). stopping it and restarting it works flawless going up from hd to 4k in some 20 seconds. I guess it's an app problem. Netflix works fine with no problem at all. xd83 on atv2 chassis. 
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Amazon app (and maybe even the service itself) generally is pretty poor. I have occasional hiccups also for 1080p.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nicogri wrote:

@AnonymousI cald them back when they left me a message but nor they don't log incomming calls or I don't know.

The time match my post on page 3 when I said I got a call with bull***** explanation

I tried 2 different AP so far... Cisco Meraki N and Archer C7 AC both on 2.4 and 5Ghz band and always had limited download bandwith to 42 Mbps so I think it is a problem with wifi chip of ATV1

@nicogri

I have submitted a message back to Sony for them to contact you again.