Join now - be part of our community!

Android TV in STBY Mode? Sometimes NOT ....

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Android TV in STBY Mode? Sometimes NOT ....

Bought this device a few months ago:

energy.PNG

This is an energy cost meter that is measuring the energy consumption of electric devices.

What I noticed after a week on my KD-55X8508C is that the TV sometimes does not fall in complete STBY. No other devices were connected on my set(HDD, Ext. keyboard or HDMI). Eco Mode is at default state.

The TV has two states of STBY:

• One is when we press the Green button on Remote and lasts exactly 5 minutes. The Power indication on that state is 22 Watts.
  • The other state of STBY occurs after 5 minutes of Power OFF. The Power indication on that state is 0.3 Watts.

The meter indication on Normal picture indication is about 120 Watts during daylight and about 80 Watts at night hours, possibly because my Light Sensor is Enabled. (Corrected)

The problem was that two times in the morning before Power On, the indication was 22 Watts, which means that the TV during the night was not in STBY but in some kind of operation with whatever bad symptoms-effects that could occur. And I don't mean the Electricity consumption and cost.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

But it was in Standby those 2 times, or it would have been 80 watts you saw.

You mean it came out of Deep Standby into Ready Standby (or whatever Sony call it).

Maybe it wakes up a bit, to look for updates, say? I know that YouView boxes do this every night, at a certain time,

Or maybe the TV has wake-on-Lan?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @royabrown

Those two times, it never went to "Deep STBY" 0.3 Watts.

The 80 Watts are only during operation.

Automatic System Update is Disabled. Apps update automatically but I don't want to believe that a whatever app that is not set to do so, can wake up TV to "Ready state STBY" of 22 Watts.

YouView app or box is not available or used in my region

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

The meter indication on Normal picture indication is about 80 Watts during daylight and about 120 Watts at night hours, possibly because my Light Sensor is Enabled.

This makes no sense at all. If anythnig, that sensor should sense less light during the night and lower the backlight intensity. Unless you have some light that shines directly to the sensor.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@kinggo01

Yes you are right this is my mistake and I shall correct.

This is now :

meter.PNG

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

OK, better.

Now, I know that this is not a subject/solution here but my 50" W75C is calibrated an consumes ~60W which is lower than both of your cases. So if you do care about saving enrgy stay away from those vivid/live/neutral hideous picture modes.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

No, my subject was not the consumption. A 22 Wattage is as low as a small lamp.

It was the non complete STBY state and whatever happens in such a state.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @royabrown

I believe it was the Digital setup->Guide set-up->Update Guide in standby->ON

I am testing this to OFF for two days and "deep STBY" is always at 0.3 Watts.

About @kinggo01 calibration suggestion for low consumption, what I noticed is that when Picture is set to Advanced settings->Motion->Motionflow->Clear  then the consuption from 120 Watts falls to 80 Watts during Daylight and from 80 Watts falls to ~65 Watts during night hours.

TV is 55 inch KD-55X8508C