Join now - be part of our community!

Android TV Microphone

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
orangeyred

Android TV Microphone

I have a Sony 43X805C with Android TV and one thing that annoys me is how the search defaults to voice search when you press the icon but the TV and standard remote don't have microphones so it's pointless.  Is there a way to change the default search to text input or better stil, can you connect a microphone to the TV?  I refuse to pay £50+ for a touch remote I'll never use.

As an aside, I haven't had any of the problems on the Android TV thread other than the guide being quite archaic.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
onelegdis

I can confirm that the Kinobo - Mini "AKIRO" USB Microphone works with my KDL-50W805C.

Its available on Amazon UK for £9.99. I've bought a few of these for desktop PC's since Google enabled voice recognition in it's chrome browser and with the role out of Windows 10 and It's Cortana voice recognition system. They work well and come with a free piece of double sided tape to stick it to your TV.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
ZombieFried777

I would think the guide will change in the next update making the youview guide the default guide, if you have a smartphone the sideview app works very good and gives you the option to use the mic on the phone for voice search, does everything the touchpad remote does and it's free.
orangeyred

I have the app and the Android TV app but don't really see the point of having to get your phone, open the app and speak to that to get the search up on your TV.  If I went to all that trouble I'd probably just search for whatever I was looking for on my phone!

onelegdis

I can confirm that the Kinobo - Mini "AKIRO" USB Microphone works with my KDL-50W805C.

Its available on Amazon UK for £9.99. I've bought a few of these for desktop PC's since Google enabled voice recognition in it's chrome browser and with the role out of Windows 10 and It's Cortana voice recognition system. They work well and come with a free piece of double sided tape to stick it to your TV.

profile.country.GB.title
ZombieFried777

That's good to know onelegdis that's the same tv as mine, can you just shout ok Google and it works from any hdmi channel? As I use sky to watch TV.
onelegdis

Alas not! As of yet... there is no Google Now or Motorola's 'always listening' launcher intergation within Android TV. 

This microphone works when ever you see the 'search' button within the sony menus. Howerver, there is no voice recognition available in the Opera browser, which is a bit of a let down. Chrome browser for Android TV is on my want list.

orangeyred

That's useful to know, thank you.  I think I will order one as well.  Is it able to pick up your voice commands if you put it out of site, say stick it on the back of the TV?

onelegdis

I have mine stuck under the LED notification bar below the Sony badge. The mic is about 5 cm long and 1 cm wide and has a matt black finish. I think it blends in well with the TV design. I sit 2.5 meters away from the TV and it picks up my voice fine. I'm not sure if it would work as well behind the TV but you could give it a try. You could also place it on your AV amp, Blueray player etc if they are not behind a door.

profile.country.NL.title
FlipStone

Just wanted to add to this one... Bought this mic after seeing this thread but for me it's not working too great.

I sit at about 2.5m to 3m from the tv and the mic is just not sensitive enough, if I set at 30-50cm it's working fine. Also on the computer this is noticable...

No clue if it's just my specific one (read some more complaints about this on amazon) but just wanted to let ppl know that your mileage may vary :wink:

orangeyred

Also had the same issue when I bought this microphone.  It just isn't sensitive enough for you to sit on your sofa and speak to your TV.  Can't recommend another but would be interested to know if someone else has got this to work with a different microphone.