Join now - be part of our community!

Annoying dark Images at bottom of screen and and two vertical lines visible in background.

profile.country.GB.title
Tottenhamtel

Annoying dark Images at bottom of screen and and two vertical lines visible in background.

Hi Guys,

SONY BRAVIA TV MODEL KD-55AG9
PURCHASED 29-11-2019 (WARRANTY EXP. 29-11-2021)

For a while now I get these images, and a couple of vertical lines, in the screen they seem to be like behind the normal picture and coming through it, they are at their worse when watching a sport when played on grass, I hope someone has an idea on how to clear these which can be seen clearly from a couple of photos I took.

Thanks Guys

Terry

Tottenhamtel_0-1658400612619.jpeg

Tottenhamtel_1-1658400788608.jpeg

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Tottenhamtel,

that looks like burn-in on your OLED TV.

You can try to remedy it with a panel refresh or by playing full-screen changing colors for a while.

To me though it looks rather bad and might be permanent already.

- Nic

Piscie
Community Team

@Tottenhamtel it seems to be an image retention issue which is caused by leaving static images displayed for a long time 😞 You can follow the steps mentioned here

profile.country.GB.title
Tottenhamtel

Hi,

Thanks for your reply

I performed a panel refresh, for the first time since purchase, before I posted my message, I left the TV alone for around two and a half hours as there is nothing to say when this process had finished, but it is still visible on screen, maybe slightly lighter or that may be me just imagining them to be.

As for image retention this is unlikely as I have never left anything on the screen, (in freeze frame/pause etc), for any prolonged amount of time.

It is strange as the images and lines are so precise in the area they are, i.e. the two vertical lines are exactly the same distance from the panel edges on the left and right side of my TV and the three images, (which remind me of the missile bases from the old arcade game 'missile command', these again are symmetrically placed which make me think what I am seeing is part of the inner tech behind the screen, the speaker system, that comes through the screen for example.

When watching other types of programs, non-sport without a large one colour area, like a grass pitch, there is NO problem with images or lines visible, perfect picture, strange.      

You mentioned "full-screen changing colours for a while" I would like to know how to perform this action.

Kind Regards

Terry

profile.country.GB.title
Tottenhamtel

Hi,

Thanks for your reply

I have given more details to another community member that replied to my question, I also thank you for yours, as a matter of courtesy I have copied and pasted it again here for you too.

Thanks for your reply

I performed a panel refresh, for the first time since purchase, before I posted my message, I left the TV alone for around two and a half hours as there is nothing to say when this process had finished, but it is still visible on screen, maybe slightly lighter or that may be me just imagining them to be.

As for image retention this is unlikely as I have never left anything on the screen, (in freeze frame/pause etc), for any prolonged amount of time.

It is strange as the images and lines are so precise in the area they are, i.e. the two vertical lines are exactly the same distance from the panel edges on the left and right side of my TV and the three images, (which remind me of the missile bases from the old arcade game 'missile command', these again are symmetrically placed which make me think what I am seeing is part of the inner tech behind the screen, the speaker system, that comes through the screen for example.

When watching other types of programs, non-sport without a large one colour area, like a grass pitch, there is NO problem with images or lines visible, perfect picture, strange.      

You mentioned "full-screen changing colours for a while" I would like to know how to perform this action.

Kind Regards

Terry

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Tottenhamtel,

image retention can also be caused by heat through sun exposure - if you have a window close by, it can burn its imprint into the TVs panel.

To run the colour video there are many YouTube Videos you can play which have various names.

Some are called pixel refresh, others rgb test.

No guarantee if that would work though.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Tottenhamtel

Thank you Nic,

I will try some of the suggestions you mentioned

As you said no guarantee but worth trying anyway

Much appriciated mate

Terry

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey there, if I may add, this is how to perform the panel calibration:

1. Make sure the TV is in “Demo Mode” settings (How do I turn off or exit Demo mode on my TV?).

2. AC on off (unplug and then plug in the power cord).

3. Reboot will last 10 minutes, and the TV will go back into the menu.

4. Repeat step (2) three times.

5. Exit the demo model.