Join now - be part of our community!

Another Sony Android or not?

profile.country.GB.title
guitarman60

Another Sony Android or not?

I own two 55” Android televisions, and despite the random reboot issues which remain, I’m on the lookout for a larger screen so selling one and keeping my wife’s as she’s happy with it. 

Question is, should I go with a 75”-85” Android model in the hope that the bugs are ironed out in Nougat, or should I look elsewhere?  Brand loyalty can really only go so far. 

Should have mentioned that that my AVERAGE amp and my blu Ray player are also Sony’s. 

Jeffrey Cooper
5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.SE.title
joeldeluxe

Eventully Sony will fix the rebooting issue and atleast they upgarde the older TV-sets OS versions. Neither Philips nor Samsung does this, just bugfixes. 

The XE series is very good compared to other LCDs, so if you get a good offer I would't hesitate :slight_smile: 

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

The random reboots on my TV are mostly gone since I upgraded to Android 7.0 the end of May. Still I reached the conclusion that the only (and fast) way to bypass (most of) the annoying bugs with these televisions.. is to buy an external TV set box. Apple TV 4K/NVIDIA Shield/Roku. Still using the Android TV part for what may be missing on those. This is what I'm considering myself.

The Apple TV 4K currently is a bit "incomplete", it has a always 4K HDR interface, which isn't perfect with some SDR movies (they get converted on the fly), it lacks Amazon Video (but it should arrive before the end of the year. And then the TV supports it. Awfully but it does), it doesn't (yet?) supports the profile VP9 for YouTube, there is no Dolby Atmos pass-through (for whom cares. And then Apple promised to add it). To install Kodi is a bit tricky, but it's there. The good thing is that being an Apple device, Apple will regularly update the OS, even monthly (with a major upgrade every year) introducing bug ironing and new features. Oh, and it is FAST.

So, if you're happy with the Sony displays and brand, you may want to consider this solution.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I will never buy a Sony again for the reasons detailed here and here. There are severe issues which did not get adressed in two years.

Updating Android is worth nothing if you don't fix the underlying system and not adapting to recent APIs. Android updates have been rather useless so far for me, also see above links.

Still it is your decision :wink: .

profile.country.US.title
Perlnx

Motionflow not fully functional : Link

Can't play 4K movie via local network : Link

Youtube still not able to play in HDR : Link

There still be a reason to buy Sony 4K HDR television ?

Even the main feature they can't made it.

profile.country.GB.title
guitarman60

Been looking at these, but have one big problem. I like 3D. I know it’s not been accepted as a standard, nor will it be, but my current “55 Sony does it, and does it well. 

Maybe I’ll learn to live without it. I have a collection of wildlife Blu Ray discs that just look amazing though. 

Still looking. 😀

Jeffrey Cooper