Join now - be part of our community!

Auto Dim issue KD-49X8305C

SOLVED
geko1910
Explorer

Auto Dim issue KD-49X8305C

Hello

I would like to ask for help about Auto Dim issue in my Sony TV. I use my TV mostly for watching films or TV series on Netflix, via VLC Player or KODI. The problem that I meet is with auto dim (or sudden brightness) of screen when subtitles appears on the screen. In short, when subtitles appears, screen is automatically brighter. When subtitles are gone, screen is darker again. It is especially visible with dark screens in the film. It is really disturbing when subtitles appears and disappears quite fast. I searched many forums and it seems to be know issue for SONY TV. I tried to change settings of  Adv. Contrast Enhancer or Light Sensor, but it doest help. Problem appears in all three applications. All my applications and TV firmware are up to date.

Could you advice me what to do in this case? maybe there are other functions settings that I should change or maybe I should give it to repair centre for checking.

I hope I described my problem clearly. Thank you in advance for help.

Best Regards
Tomasz 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Are you sure you checked the Advanced Contrast Enhancer setting (to off) while running the app? It is source specific so maybe you have it disabled while looking a dvbt broacast but still on while watching Kodi or Netflix.

The effect you describe is the ACE way of working on any TV with Edge LED (more or less depending on local dimming possibilities)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Are you sure you checked the Advanced Contrast Enhancer setting (to off) while running the app? It is source specific so maybe you have it disabled while looking a dvbt broacast but still on while watching Kodi or Netflix.

The effect you describe is the ACE way of working on any TV with Edge LED (more or less depending on local dimming possibilities)

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi

Since you have already disabled Light Sensor and Advanced Contrast Enhancer with no result, try to change Subtitles colour wherever this is available.

For example on Kodi it is : System - Settings - Video - Subtitles - Colour

Select a colour that is not so bright e.g. Light grey or just experiment on what does not cause your issue.

On VLC this option is not available for our Android version. I think on windows is available. Maybe they fix - add this option some day.

I don't know about Netflix because I do not use it.

I hope all video apps creators will help to resolve.

This is an issue for all TV brandts after HD video appeared and usually is solved by sacrificing picture quality.

geko1910
Explorer

Hi rooobb

Thanks for solution. Indeed I was turning ACE off only for analog input ( I don't have digital tv). When I was checking other forums it was written that I should turn ACE off in TV settings, but it wasn't said that for every type of input (analog, digital, hdmi, every app etc.) I need to do it separately. I though if I change it in main settings it will be valid for every other input. My mistake. Thanks again for support and great help. 

BR

Tomasz

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

:thumbsup:

you may look at it as a problem or a feature: it allows you to decide specific setting for every source. I hate ACE in any case on this TV since the blacks are already very good, it helps a little with an IPS panel (even if the "flashes" are still bad)

Marius87
New

I noticed the same issue at once on my 55XD9305, but turned off the ACE and dimming and considered the issue solved.

The problem is, in HDR-mode (watching Marco Polo on Netflix) it still appear even with the ACE turned off, and since the dimming adjustements is locked I can't do anything about it.

Will there be an update so I can adjust the dimming in the future?