Join now - be part of our community!

auto source switching between str-dn1080 and xe9005

profile.country.GB.title
davygravy73
Explorer

auto source switching between str-dn1080 and xe9005

Hi, any help appreciated with this problem as sony cant explain, all is good when it's working, when i'm watching tv through my youview box and say i switch to youtube or iplayer etc the amp automaticaly changes source to tv and  outputs the sound without manually swictching over the amp, then all of a sudden it stops working andmanually switch source, to make it work again i have to unplug the tv and start up again, i sent the problem to sony showing 2 videos one working one not, but they say it's working fine,keep tellingthemto watch the second video, but i don't think they understand, hope someone can help.

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Are you using optical or HDMI?

profile.country.GB.title
davygravy73
Explorer

Hdmi over arc
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi davygravy73

Could you perhaps try to be more precise in explaining the problem again? We would like to help you, but we need to understand you much better. Try describing step-by-step what you do in each step and on which device you do it.

Else post your video links here, maybe that will help us understand the problem.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
davygravy73
Explorer

Video 1 shows it not working, video 2 shows it working

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Thanks for posting the videos. Helps a great deal in clarifying pretty much everything you do and try to get done. Could you perhaps answer the following:

• Have you setup and use the TV remote to control your YouView box? (e.g. changing the YouView box channels, etc.)
  • Which devices (name them all) are connected to which inputs (name the inputs) on the amp? (e.g. YouView box > Video 1)
profile.country.GB.title
davygravy73
Explorer

hi, i have the basic controls of my youview box using the tv remote, i have the youview box in the sat/catv and bluray player in the bd/dvd, thanks

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Thanks for the clear response. There are a number of possible solutions to your issue. My assumption is that you are satisfied with your current configuration, in other words there must be a reason why you prefer to use your external YouView box instead of the built-in YouView service on the TV. So the first suggestion with the least number of changes to your current use scenario, is to connect the HDMI cable from the YouView box to the HDMI 2 input on the TV directly.

Let us know how you get along, and if the suggestion solves the issue for you. 

profile.country.GB.title
davygravy73
Explorer

wow, yes that worked, what is going on there, why does that happen, is it a sony fault or bt youview fault, regards

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Great to hear back from you and thank you for posting back your result. It certainly helps many others in situations just like yourself.

Your four devices interchange HDMI-CEC commands on a single shared bus using a detailed higer-level messaging protocol. Most tier one manufacturers as the likes of Sony put their consumer electronics devices supporting this feature through rigorous testing and compliance approval programmes, just to make sure that the devices receive, execute and respond to CEC commands according to the extensive references set by the latest HDMI specification.

Unfortunately enough for consumers, the relatively small manufacturers which mass produce low cost devices (e.g. STBs, Streaming boxes, Pay-TV boxes, SAT receivers, etc.)  cannot afford an extensive test and compliance program for this feature. As a result we often see that such devices when introduced to the HDMI-CEC circuitry ecosystem of higher grade devices, lead to unforeseen or undesired behaviour.

Our job in return is to think of creative workarounds and suggest them as a solution in order for you to be able to enjoy your fantastic products just as they were meant to be used in the first place. So in your case we are glad to hear that you have managed to solve the issue.

Give yourself a pat on the back, you earned it!