Join now - be part of our community!

Sony oled KD55A1 Ticking noise

profile.country.NL.title
Kacper525
Explorer

Sony oled KD55A1 Ticking noise

Anyone experienced something like that: https://youtu.be/Vc4ppkBjA8A (approx 0,13 sec)- ticking noise while the TV it’s on .  

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi Kacper,

Welcome to the community.

It would be best to contact support about this issue. You will find their details here.

Best wishes,

Ed

profile.country.NL.title
Kacper525
Explorer

Hi Ed,

thanks for you update.
I already have contacted support center, someone from the service department is coming next week for checkover.
The unit is 1,5 month old :unamused:

Regards,

Kacper

profile.country.NL.title
Kacper525
Explorer

The mechanic came, according his diagnoses -that ticking noise it come from expanding plastic parts while the tv gets warm, he unscrewed and screwed back screws. Unfortunately didn’t help ticking noise it’s still present

profile.country.GB.title
.piran
Explorer

>> Anyone experienced something like that: https://youtu.be/Vc4ppkBjA8A (approx 0,13 sec)- ticking noise while the TV it’s on .  

Yes. Very very occasionally. At night when it is quiet and everyone else is in bed (I'm of the 'owl' persuasion) ...using the TV as a radio (usually via an HDD recording). A sort of "crack" ...a single short impulse-like "tick" sound, something that is surely not on the sound recording source. My assumption has been heat expansion/contraction too... associated with the rear-mounted inducers coupled to the surface mount screen. I haven't felt the need to call the issue in. Listening to your recording I initially thought... but that's just somebody typing in the next room... until your 0:13sec marker arrived with that "tick" (single) noise. "Ticking" implies a repeated "tick" (like an old-fashioned watch) but I think you are refering to a single aural event.

PostEdit: removed OP's recording link

profile.country.NL.title
Kacper525
Explorer

indeed, that's what you hear in my movie untill 0.13 sec it's a background sound (remote controler etc.) " ticking" noise comes in approx 0.13/14 sec. It happen occasionaly, let's say twice / three times per movie. In my opinion that migh be the plastic part which is attached to backside of the screen. I also think that after half year of using my oled tv the "ticking" noise slightly become quieter.

profile.country.GB.title
.piran
Explorer

The very short sharp 'crack' impulse noise I've some times heard is emphatically electronically generated albeit probably mechanical in origin (sound actuators bonded to the back of the actual screen). It is not predictable nor repetitive but has always been at night and whilst the TV is actively powered up being used.

Weeks separate those few instances thus far experienced. Certainly not multiple instances per viewing session. Is your stuff anywhere near to a cooling or heating draft from central air conditioning or heating?

My kit is situated quite near to a sunward-facing window (though with a netting diffuser). Strong morning sunshine does hit that rubbish-quality back panel thing covering what is some what optimistically also known as the woofer but no actual draughts. The window is difficult to reach (TV is in the way) and is never opened. If the TV rear assembly were to be making temperature based mechanical noises it would surely be then but this has not been experienced. 

Further... my stuff is 'perched' on a small but massively constructed solid wood 'coffee table' of a size exactly equal to the footprint of the TV's base. Solid cement & tiled ground floor. IOW there is absolutely no flexing or vibration transmitted into the TV. If yours is directly floor mounted (eg using the whole width of the screen) and it were to be on a wooden or otherwise sprung floor then the TV might being micro-flexed by diverse movements of either your family or even by people walking up and down common staircases outside. An out-of-balanced loaded washing machine can do similarly. Heavy road traffic or underground railways also emit low frequency vibrations. Check your sound equaliser settings too as the lefthand side (base) sliders might have been elevated. Your movie might have some embedded very low base that is at the root of your cracking noise (eg the woofer poorly attempting infra-base); especially if the overall volume is set loud. 

Good luck sleuthing:-)

profile.country.NL.title
Kacper525
Explorer

No, my tv it's hanging on the wall mount bracket. There is no cooling or heating system nearby.

profile.country.NL.title
Kacper525
Explorer

I will try to do some changes in equalizer menu.