Join now - be part of our community!

Backlight bleed - BRAVIA KD49XG8096BU

profile.country.GB.title
robstopper
Explorer

Backlight bleed - BRAVIA KD49XG8096BU

Less than 3 months old, and for the last few weeks, I've been noticing some discolouration in the corners. after some research, it appears that it's suffering from backlight bleed. It's fine when the picture is full screen and bright, but when it's either widescreen or a black/dark picture, it's noticeable and distracting.

From searching on here, it doesn't seem Sony do much to acknowledge this issue, I've tried their limited recommendations and it's still there.

Before I speak to Currys (where I bought the TV from) and their undoubtedly useless and disinterested tech support people, are there any recommendations from people on here?

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Back-light uniformity problems are inherent  with edge lit LCD TV technology, than it depends on how bad it is and which kind of setting have you set (and your environment too). Some tricks may help (lowering the luminosity, putting a light or a strip of leds on the back of the tv) but really depends on your own panel defect. Do you have a picture?

profile.country.GB.title
robstopper
Explorer

Its an LED TV, not LCD, if that makes any difference.

I've tried to take a picture to show this as best i can. How much i notice it does vary with ambient light levels, and with what is on the screen

DSC_0190.JPG

DSC_0191.JPG

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I'm sorry but your tv is an LCD with LED backlight :wink: ... an inheritance from Sammy marketing to let we believe it was a new panel technology :wink:

I really do not know what to think about your panel... is it like this also on a complete black image (having disabled the advanced contrast enhancer that would shutdown completely the backlight so you won't see any bleeding...)?

It seems bad (unacceptable to me that own an OLED) but probably not too bad to get an intervention

profile.country.GB.title
robstopper
Explorer

It looks worse in those pictures than it does in reality tbh. Most of the time i only really notice it in the bottom right corner on widescreen. Then you can see the bleeding if the tv picture is mostly dark.

The closest i can get to a full black screen at the mo is the netflix log in page, and you can see it, but not majorly so. Thats with ACE shut off, brightness at 40, light sensor on, black adjust at medium

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

40 is quite high and being an ips panel  you should take the benefit of ACE in order to a have a better contrast . No light sensor please and use a pattern to have the right level of luminosity/contrast.  Than if it is not so evident as in the photos give a try  to a led strip behind the tv.: it will look much better and relaxing for few pounds 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

In any case you can find lot of test images on youtube and on pattern disks such as avshd 709 or mehanik hdr test on avsforum

profile.country.GB.title
robstopper
Explorer

Thanks for the advice. I did play around with the settings last night, lowering the brightness first then adjusting other settings to get a picture I'm happy with, and it did seem to improve things. I'll carry on tweaking.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It should be better id you use patter to make your adjustment...

profile.country.GB.title
robstopper
Explorer

Reducing the luminosity and tweaking the other settings has apparantly reduced its impact, even if i can still see it at times.

I do also notice that the colour shading on large field areas of colour can be quite *blocky" with visible bands of shade, like a rainbow, not smoothed out. It seems to be channel-specific though, so maybe more a transmission quality issue rather than hardware?