Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
samcdonnell
Explorer

Just to clarify, is this the roku that solves the issue for the A1? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roku-Streaming-Stick-Player-Black/dp/B076FH18TC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid...

profile.country.GB.title
bemaniac84

Yes but the UHD feed is really dark and weird unless you force rec2020
instead of auto and then crank color to stupid levels like 80 which for
anything else would be horrible. I have a brighter screen coming but even
Samsungs 9 series owners are saying BBC coverage is dull and lifeless if
sharp compared to HD
profile.country.GB.title
benjy86

I would buy a Roku but there are only two ports for hdr on my 930 and it's a pain pulling all the covers off to swap devices in and out all the time annoying on a exspensive TV only get 2 HDR ports

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@StoufferTheCat wrote:

Netflix and Amazon Prime apps on the Ps4 Pro both output HDR - my XE93 confirms this when I'm watching such a source, the little "HDR" flag comes up.

4k/HDR on Netflix is easy, 4k/HDR on Amazon Prime more difficult, but due to the terrible app rather than any technical reason.

The only reason I use the built-in app on the TV for Netflix is that it supports Dolby Vision.

Nope, I have checked again and the Prime Video app on the Pro has no 4K or HDR content, the TV does.

Incidentally the UHD test stream of the football on the PS4 Pro is a bit jittery and doesn't seem to be nice and smooth. Not sure what frame rate is but it's not great, prefer a smooth 1080p picture to be honest.

profile.country.GB.title
ScrattyTV

@benjy86@I don't know what your budget is but I assume you could get this from Amazon for £40 and plug up to 5 devices into it.

XOLORspace SMARTOOO 23051 4K@60Hz HDMI 2.0 HDR HDMI Switcher 4:4:4 18Gps/600MHZ with remote control and auto switch 5x1 HDMI switch 5 ports HDMI switch supports Sky Q, PS 4 PRO, XBox One S, fire TV, Roku 4 4k 60HZ 4:4:4 8 bit
profile.country.GB.title
bemaniac84

Ps4 Pro. Now supported UHD Iplayer.
profile.country.GB.title
StoufferTheCat

Aye - I corrected myself a few posts back.

The Amazon Prime app on the PS4 Pro is terrible.

profile.country.GB.title
Dickiedrummer
Explorer

Hugely disappointed that the XE9005 is not supported. I only bought this TV  3 or 4 months back, expecting as a fairly premium model it would be up to date with such things. I so wish I had bought an LG OLED instead. All their 2017 models seem to make the BBC list. Next TV for me will not be a Sony, that's for sure.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@bemaniac84 wrote:
Ps4 Pro. Now supported UHD Iplayer.

Having just tested the Live UHD test loop its pretty bad on PS4, not smooth at all, there is like a jitter on the picture and its just not smooth. Watching 1080p broadcast of Poland v Senegal on DTT now and its way nicer. 

I wonder if the live footage will be as bad as the test loop.

profile.country.GB.title
StoufferTheCat

I watched the England game last night on a PS4 Pro in UHD and to be fair I thought it looked excellent. I had a few little pauses when I first connected to the stream and I had buffering three times throughout, but generally it was very smooth and I thought the picture was excellent.

I am however told by my LG owning friends that HDR looked rather good - on that I obviously cannot comment.