Join now - be part of our community!

Big issues with XH90 color banding becouse no smooth gradation

profile.country.SE.title
MickeJGS
Explorer

Big issues with XH90 color banding becouse no smooth gradation

Hello, 

I am an owner of SONY XH90, my TV has big problems with color banding. Because SONY made a decision not to include the "smooth gradation" function, I have looked at older SONY TV models that apparently have "smooth gradation" where the function works as it should, improves the picture. All new SONY TV 2021 with XR processor must also have "smooth grading". But for some reason, SONY has chosen not to include this feature on the XH90. And this results in a worse image. Why should you as a customer then accept that SONY seems to know there are problems with XH90 and color banding. There is talk that future updates may solve the problem, give a better picture.

But despite 1 year of problems with color banding, which SONY seems to be aware of, it has not gotten better, because SONY does not seem particularly interested in not installing a feature that apparently gives a better picture on a TV? How is it then not a manufacturing error if color banding occurs due to a function that does not exist, but which would be better if the function is installed? Why should you as a customer be satisfied with a TV you generally get a worse picture of due to conscious choice from SONY?

I have examples of how bad it can really look, it destroys the pleasure when you watch TV when you see it does not look good, but the function "smooth gradation" How should you as a customer keep track of which features are not included, how much worse will the image be without the feature? Does SONY think there is a problem with XH90 has color banding due to SONY chosen not to include "smooth gradation"?

I don't get any support from either SONY or from the store i bougt it from

Becouse of a missing funtion you wasen't aware of, you apparently have to accept bad picture, becouse TV can't handle it without "smooth gradation" is not installed

As long as SONY choose not to install "smooth gradation" with future firmware update my XH90 gonna have a bad picture

How are you suppose to know about a funktion TV is missing, getting bad picture if it's not there? But it's on many other and older SONY TV do better picture?

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.SE.title
MickeJGS
Explorer

Now, 1 year later, and i know what function XH90 is missing, how much difference it gets a picture better with the function, it's a big value, and that  function should always be on every tv that can handle it at least. Sony have about 20 function in settings on their TV' These functions are there for a reason, to make picture better! If you remove any of these function, picture somehow can get worse depending of what your source is. With removing "smooth radation" XH90 can't handle lowbit rate. But what is "low bitrate"? I see color banding on videos from Metallica in 2021, shouldn't they film professional as professionals they are? Before XH90 i had LG C7 for 2 years, then had one year break, then jumped on the XH90 becouse SONY was advertising this as their "official playstation" with future proof hdmi 2.1 and vrr... so when XH95 which you say are more expensive, but still didn't had hdmi 2.1 many like me thought, that xh90 was the bang for the buck 2020. But 1 year later, many are still complaining 4K 120 hz and vrr is "broken" on the XH90

profile.country.SE.title
MickeJGS
Explorer

So no one from SONY got time to respond about this during these days?