Join now - be part of our community!

Bluetooth on KD-65X8509C when scanning does not list devices

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
MJGardener
New

Bluetooth on KD-65X8509C when scanning does not list devices

I recently bought a pair of bluetooth headphones so that I could listen to the TV without annoying tht neighbours. It was with disappointment that I found that the 65" Sony TV I have does not appear to support the ability to use Bluetooth headphones as it does not have something called A2DP in the Bluetooth profile. Initially I thought it was a problem with the headphones but they connected quite quickly with my Sony Xperia 1 mobile phone. I then tried my phone on Bluetooth to see if my TV found it but no it does not find that either. The phone finds both the TV and the headphones when scanning for Bluetooth devices but the TV does not. I therefore have a few questions I was wondering if people could help with?

1/ Am I being stupid and missed something or is there no way to get Bluetooth headphones to connect to this TV?

2 / Is there any reason for the TV not to list the Sony Xperia 1 mobile and the headphones when scanning for Bluetooth devices?

3/ Is there any way to add the A2DP to the Bluetooth profile or is it restricted by the hardware in the TV?

Hope someone can give me some guidance on these issues before I drive myself mad looking.

Many Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@rooobb @MJGardener 

That seems a bit defeatist to me; what about one of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Portable-Transmission-Black/dp/B00Q2EGQQU/...

or, as optical might be better as the source, this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Q5TSFCX/ref=vp_d_pb_TIER4_trans_lp_B00QV77YIC_pd?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd...

Both these inexpensive devices, and a whole range of other devices like them, will connect to a sound output on your TV and transmit the sound to your headphones.

Just make sure you get the A2DP profile you need, low latency (so sound and picture don’t go out of sync), and a connector that suits your needs;  the jack plug connection will mute the TV speakers and be controllable via the TV volume control, the optical connection won’t mute the speakers, and can be controlled via the TV remote, or can be set constant and controlled at the headphones themselves.

This latter setup is one I previously recommended on here to someone with hearing issues, who wanted to watch TV with his family hearing the TV speakers at one level, while he used Bluetooth headphones at a different, louder, level, and it was perfect for that.

The jackplug method is good for solo listening only, but can be just what some people want, especially late at night.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It seems you already know the answer for your 5 years old tv not connecting to headphones. Unfortunately it seems you cannot do anything to workaround it since other method (like installing alternative driver) do not work either on older platforms

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@rooobb @MJGardener 

That seems a bit defeatist to me; what about one of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Portable-Transmission-Black/dp/B00Q2EGQQU/...

or, as optical might be better as the source, this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Q5TSFCX/ref=vp_d_pb_TIER4_trans_lp_B00QV77YIC_pd?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd...

Both these inexpensive devices, and a whole range of other devices like them, will connect to a sound output on your TV and transmit the sound to your headphones.

Just make sure you get the A2DP profile you need, low latency (so sound and picture don’t go out of sync), and a connector that suits your needs;  the jack plug connection will mute the TV speakers and be controllable via the TV volume control, the optical connection won’t mute the speakers, and can be controlled via the TV remote, or can be set constant and controlled at the headphones themselves.

This latter setup is one I previously recommended on here to someone with hearing issues, who wanted to watch TV with his family hearing the TV speakers at one level, while he used Bluetooth headphones at a different, louder, level, and it was perfect for that.

The jackplug method is good for solo listening only, but can be just what some people want, especially late at night.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@royabrown2 you are right, I was thinking about native support. Of course is still possible to add an external device