Join now - be part of our community!

Built In WiFi problem

SOLVED

Built In WiFi problem

I have a Sony Bravia 55xe8396b TV bought just over a year ago and suddenly seem to be having a major issue with the WiFi on it. 

Since getting the TV  we've had multiple occasions where the WiFi has dropped and we've been unable to reconnect at the time, however usually a few days later the issue has sorted itself and we've been able to continue as usual. About 4 months ago, I reset the internet connection with the TV to the WPS setting and since then we've had no problems at all. 

Until Thursday, I went to watch Netflix and got a message to say the TV wasn't connected to the internet. When I went back to the home screen and to the settings, I noticed the WiFi button was in the off position. I tried to turn it back on but it keeps flicking straight back to the off position. 

I'm now in the process of factory resetting the TV to see if that helps, but for a TV a little over a year old, we didn't anticipate having these problems. A quick google search shows that a lot of people have issues with the internet connection on Sony TVs, so I think this might be our last one if we can't rectify the issue. 

Has anyone else had this same issue or something similar? I'm not sure what else to try! 

88 REPLIES 88
profile.country.GB.title
mhaselden

Maybe its an Android issue, as some Android components get updated in the
back round if you allow them to. The Android System WebView component had
an update on the 31st March 2020. Is this when the issue started for most
people? Would be interesting so see if you could roll this back if so?
Sorry, just thinking out loud.
So, who had this issue before 31st March??
profile.country.GB.title
glynnl4umb

Sounds about right for when problem started for me. Are you listening, Sony?
profile.country.GB.title
suzie75

Perhaps Sony has fixed the issue as i have not had the issue now for about a week. It definitely started after the update and the update also removed some third party apps that I had installed! I had to reinstall them.

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
glynnl4umb

No such luck. Same problem this morning. Am in email correspondence with a
Sony tech expert but, short of factory reset, he's yet to come up with
anything!
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@glynnl4umb  ha scritto:
Sounds about right for when problem started for me. Are you listening, Sony?

It doesn't seem that Sony is the publisher of Android Web view component, am i right?

profile.country.GB.title
glynnl4umb

No idea. You're the Tech!
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I pay for my tv as much as you do, sorry

profile.country.GB.title
glynnl4umb

Sorry, didn't mean to be so curt. Thought you were a moderator. I'm really
fed up with this and waiting for a response from Sony! Strange thing is, it
tells me WiFi not connected but has no effect whatsoever on me viewing
Netflix etc (apart from the annoying notification!!).
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Don't worry I'm used to and I was curt my self (didn't even know this word before btw :wink: )

If you get this message while still connected it could be due to router briefly disconnecting the line but non enough to consume the buffer you have.... You may want to check which kind of router you have and try disabling IPv6 if it is possible on it...

profile.country.GB.title
suzie75

No worries. Hadn’t noticed that I could still access content, just found the message very annoying. I’ve had many TVs from Sony, I like this one but it has a lot of bugs!!

Sent from my iPhone