Join now - be part of our community!

Can I add DNLA Connectivity to A9 series Android OLED TV with a downloaded Android App

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
RayKeech
Explorer

Can I add DNLA Connectivity to A9 series Android OLED TV with a downloaded Android App

Hi

I would love to purchase the OLED KD-48A9 TV, but have many GBytes of photos, music and video on my NAS which works great,  DLNA streaming to my old Samsung. I contacted Sony Support and got this reply:

"With reference to your enquiry, please note that unfortunately we cannot guarantee the availability of an Android DLNA Player App on the Playstore on TV.
And as you are aware, this model does not support DLNA, hence, we cannot guarantee that you will be able to use it with NAS.
We apologize for any unintended inconvenience."
SONY SUPPORT TEAM

Has anyone had any success in adding NAS connectivity App to play photos, music & video via a downloaded App, if so any suggestion would be much appreciated?  Does BubbleUPnP for DNLA work on these A9 series TVs?

Any other suggestions?

I did wonder about using my PC laptop and stream from my NAS to PC via DLNA, then connect to the TV via Chromecast, but this seems rather messy solution. 

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions

Ray

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

There is the inbuilt media app plus others like kodi, vlc, plex etc.  There are some specific nas  client apps depending on what make your nas is.  They can be a bit clunky for network access. 

For photos kodi plays them.  There are some dedicated photo apps but not sure which ay network versus local photos. They often have premium features and you can't try before you buy

Other option would be to backup photos to google cloud and the built in chromecast screen saver will play them.  Note photo storage is unlimited but that changes next year, but IIRC photos already loaded remain free even if over 15gb

Edit unlimited storage for "high" quality which will resize to max 16MP

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Replying to my own post I was playing with the chromecast photos option and there looks to be a difference between in built chromecast and an external one. External ones have a customise ambient option where you can set folders in Google photos as the, screensaver. This option is not there on the TV.  You can cast Google photo folders to the TV from a phone or by voice from a nest/home device, and maybe you can do it with voice on the TV itself, but doesn't look like you can set it on the TV automatically via Google home settings

On a more general point on best network media player apps you could try posting the question on avforums under the sony threads.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
RayKeech
Explorer

Sorry for my typo. I meant DLNA in my post.

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

There is the inbuilt media app plus others like kodi, vlc, plex etc.  There are some specific nas  client apps depending on what make your nas is.  They can be a bit clunky for network access. 

For photos kodi plays them.  There are some dedicated photo apps but not sure which ay network versus local photos. They often have premium features and you can't try before you buy

Other option would be to backup photos to google cloud and the built in chromecast screen saver will play them.  Note photo storage is unlimited but that changes next year, but IIRC photos already loaded remain free even if over 15gb

Edit unlimited storage for "high" quality which will resize to max 16MP

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Replying to my own post I was playing with the chromecast photos option and there looks to be a difference between in built chromecast and an external one. External ones have a customise ambient option where you can set folders in Google photos as the, screensaver. This option is not there on the TV.  You can cast Google photo folders to the TV from a phone or by voice from a nest/home device, and maybe you can do it with voice on the TV itself, but doesn't look like you can set it on the TV automatically via Google home settings

On a more general point on best network media player apps you could try posting the question on avforums under the sony threads.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@RayKeech  ha scritto:

Hi

I would love to purchase the OLED KD-48A9 TV, but have many GBytes of photos, music and video on my NAS which works great,  DLNA streaming to my old Samsung. I contacted Sony Support and got this reply:

"With reference to your enquiry, please note that unfortunately we cannot guarantee the availability of an Android DLNA Player App on the Playstore on TV.
And as you are aware, this model does not support DLNA, hence, we cannot guarantee that you will be able to use it with NAS.
We apologize for any unintended inconvenience."
SONY SUPPORT TEAM

Has anyone had any success in adding NAS connectivity App to play photos, music & video via a downloaded App, if so any suggestion would be much appreciated?  Does BubbleUPnP for DNLA work on these A9 series TVs?

Any other suggestions?

I did wonder about using my PC laptop and stream from my NAS to PC via DLNA, then connect to the TV via Chromecast, but this seems rather messy solution. 

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions

Ray

@RayKeech it is unbelievable the answer you've got. Almost any TV is DLNA compatible since DLNA is meant for TV! And Sony tv are indeed compatible (both for the stock app and other player you can get from the store)

profile.country.GB.title
RayKeech
Explorer

Hi

Thanks so much for your detailed reply and checking this out for me, I really appreciated it.

Good to hear that DNLA does work with the right App. I have used Kodi before on PC, but never as an App on TV.

For whatever reason Sony do not promote DLNA on this TV, in fact most web sites, such as John Lewis say it is not supported, and so do Sony Technical Support, as you see !. All very odd, as I suspected it ought to be possible with a suitable App and you have confirmed that.

I do use Google Photos which duplicates my photos from my NAS, so interesting what you informed me about that.

Thanks

Ray

profile.country.GB.title
RayKeech
Explorer

From what you have informed me, I agree, unbelievable answer from Sony Technical Support. Virtually all modern TVs have DLNA, so I did find it very odd that such a premium Sony model did not support it.

Thanks. Ray