Join now - be part of our community!

Color banding or Macro blocking

profile.country.SE.title
MickeJGS
Explorer

Color banding or Macro blocking

Is this Color banding or Macro blocking?

image.jpg

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I can see both but are you sure they are not in the source?

profile.country.SE.title
MickeJGS
Explorer

With function smooth gradation, you don't see the pixels on other tv with same source

Macro blocking is one kind of pixels, Color banding is another kind of pixels, im wondering what it is i see on the picture? You see pixels from black to white

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Sorry it could be my bad english knowledge, but I don't understand what you wrote.

First of all, which tv(s) are we talking about?

I don't know what you are looking for in the image but color banding is a clear separation of colors while you expect them to have a smooth gradation between them (and you can see in the different shades of blue) while macroblocking is an harsh pixelation of pixel or block of pixels that again should blend in the overall background (and you can see all over the image). Now all of these effect maybe embedded in the source due to low quality or high compression. Activating smooth gradation, you artificially smooth the banding that is present in the image (as well you may try to reduce the pixellation or macroblocking activating noise reduction, again artificially and with possible side effects) 

profile.country.SE.title
MickeJGS
Explorer

It's the X900H

I have same photo from another TV with smooth gradation turned on

But the question is, is it color banding or macro-blocking?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

So your turn on understanding English.... You have both in that picture and i don't understand what changes if you name it. It is a bad image probably from a bad source that the processor in the XH90 is not able to embellish.

profile.country.SE.title
MickeJGS
Explorer

This is source from a commercial from one of the biggest tv providers

Why would they film commercial bad image?

What do you mean i turn on understand english?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Are you kidding? Your idea of a good source is a commercial in SDR from a broadcast provider?

profile.country.SE.title
MickeJGS
Explorer

Same source... what are your excuse you can't see or find any color banding?

image.jpg

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I don't have to excuse myself for anything and I don't know what you are trying to demonstrate, good luck