Join now - be part of our community!

Converting Encrypted HDD recordings to view on a PC

profile.country.GB.title
TheDocker
Explorer

Converting Encrypted HDD recordings to view on a PC

Double disappointments after unwrapping a new Sony Bravia 4K UR3 to find the TWIN tuners are actually separate  Digital TV and Satellite tuners, so recording a film while watching a show on another channel isn’t possible. (Really! In this day and age?) 

The Other is that said recordings are encoded or encrypted so I can only playback on this TV, not the one in the bedroom which is a Samsung nor my PC. 

Is there a hack to get round this? Or a file converter to enable me to change to a file that is playable via flash or via shared network? 

Im guessing I’ll have to set both TVs to record the same shows so I have freedom  to watch on either TV. Still, it’s quite a disappointment. 

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

The contents recorded on devices of this type have always been encrypted for "rights" reasons.
profile.country.GB.title
TheDocker
Explorer

Yes thanks, I thought that was the reason.  But that limits my use of the TV. 

My only work around is to record the tv show on my laptop and record on that to stream to the different TVs in my home. A bit more awkward, maybe. Will try it out and report back. 

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

or use any cheap STB with needed tuners, they usually have no restrictions of any kind.