Join now - be part of our community!

Dimming issue after PKG6.2858.0082 software update.

profile.country.GB.title
jirober52

Dimming issue after PKG6.2858.0082 software update.

Since the PKG6.2858 update I have a dimming issue with my Sony A1. The picture pre update was stunning, however since the update I am experiencing varying levels of brightness which has completely ruined ths set for me. Colours are lacklustre and mostly dim, a factory reset has failed to rectify the problem. It seems that a number of owners on the AVSForums are experiencing similar problems. Only hope that Sony bring out a fix but not holding my breath.

183 REPLIES 183
profile.country.GB.title
jirober52

The link is http://trustpilot.com, type Sony UK in the Review and discover companies! search box.

There is a prize if you find 20 or more reviews exceeding one star!.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

What a joke, try searching Samsung uk

profile.country.GB.title
alistairgd66

@rooobbwrote:

What a joke, try searching Samsung uk

I did. The results were even worse than Sonys! 700+ reviews averaged at 1 star!

profile.country.GB.title
Kyletto

Hi again all,

Seems like this thread has devolved into a 'Let's Bash Sony' free-for-all! Not that I'm judging, I can totally empathise with everyone's upset and anger at the situation and how it is being handled.

Just swinging it back to the issue specifically for a second, though; I've had messages from various people across different platforms (including Youtube) who've said they have used / will be using the video in complaints to Sony, and I of course have forwarded it over to them, as well.

Also, I have a phone meeting scheduled with Sony at 10:00am this Friday, which will be the first direct communication with them since putting together the video and sending it live, so quietly hopeful for some progress.

I'll let you all know how it goes!

profile.country.GB.title
Barcabod

Just to keep everyone informed Sony have sent me an email to say that they will be passing this further up the chain ,but also say that there may not be a firmware update to rectify the problem.

John Lewis have basically said that the TV is fit for purpose and their guarentee does not cover problems caused by firmeare updates.

Which I now take to mean what you see is what you get, great if its a tin of beans but not a 3

grand TV

So not one to give up, I spent nearly the whole weekend (over 12 hrs)playing with the settings starting out with all picture settings as factory i.e out of the box. Even with these settings the screen dimmed so how can Sony say its a feature if factory settings dims the screen.

Anyhow after many hours I have got a picture that is just barely ok and seems not to dim as quickly as it did before, basically anything with luminance on high causes the screen to dim, so I have set this to medium and then played with brightness and contrast I can now get maybe 15 mins watching football without it dimming but this depends on whether the screen changes a lot as in close up of crowd , close up of player/manager i.e.quick changing screen.

It still dims, but I think with the screen being a lot more dull it is less noticable, the picture is certainly nothing like as good as it was before this update was rolled out, and not a picture that I would want to watch given a choice

Kyletto thanks for pushing this problem further up the chain and hopefully getting this problem to the right people.

As far as bashing Sony I can also totally understand peoples frustrations( mine included having now sworn never to give another bean to the 2 companies involved). Sony are telling people that they are not recieving many complaints  which as we know from the internet is a total fabrication of the truth.Also that this is a feature to stop screen burn ( why does it dim on factory settings).Surely they would not send a tv out that would damage the screen on a pre set setting

Perhaps if they actually acknowledged the problem and say they will work on a solution people would give them a bit of time to rectify the problem.

I look forward to hearing what is said to Kyletto and again thank him for taking the lead with this

Heres hoping that we get the TV that was actually advertised

profile.country.GB.title
Kyletto

Hi again all,

So I had my phone meeting with Sony this morning, and I have to say I'm quite pleased with it how it went.

Importantly, they conceded it is an issue that is now affecting numerous people, and is not performing how it should be. They couldn't go into the exact specifications and details of the problem as it is classified product information, but it was great to hear them accepting it is a problem.

They also confirmed that my video has been forwarded on to the top dogs and also the Japanese development team, who are currently working on a solution.

When I asked for a timescale for this patch/solution, I was told whilst there is no specific timeframe confirmed at the moment, it is being worked on as a priority because of the flagship nature of the sets being affected. I am also going to be kept up to speed on the progress of this patch/solution and they are going to actively keep me in the know.

So yeah, I have to say I'm quietly encouraged. It's nice to hear them accepting it is an issue affecting lots of us, and that there is an active effort underway to resolve it, and that it is a priority and they'll be keeping me up to speed with it all. That's a lot more than they've conceded and revealed in the past.

I will, of course, keep you guys up to speed as and when I get information.

profile.country.GB.title
alistairgd66

As someone who was eager to buy the new Sony, this is encrouraging news, thanks for sharing.

And Sony are right, this is their flagship models that are affected, they should be all over this like a rash.

I see many new review videos being posted over the last few weeks that are catering to consumers who are weighing up the pros and cons of Sony/LG/Samsung and OLED/QLED. The Sony dimming issue is creeping into the conversation and becoming more visible, and therefore damaging for Sony.

The wider burn in issue is also extremely visible these days with lots of interest in videos examining screen performance in this area.

Encouraging news though - can't wait for the next installment!

profile.country.GB.title
jirober52

This is quietly encouraging that at least they are accepting the prescence of this issue. Our extreme thanks to you Kyletto for your professionalism in this matter, let us hope that there is now some light at the end of the tunnel.

Whilst caution must be exercised. I am sure fellow sufferers will be pleased with the outcome of your phone meeting and I would be grateful if extracts from your discussion can be conveyed to them with aknowedgement of your efforts in this matter. News of this nature will be of encouragement to them as we are all aware of the exasperation this issue has caused.

Let us hope that soon this issue can be put to bed and that we all can have our tv's back to their pre PKG6.2858.0082 state and with the inclusion of Dolby Vision.

profile.country.GB.title
Kyletto

Dear all,

After ongoing communication with Sony since our phone meeting last Friday, when they assured me a fix was being worked on and that my video had been passed on to the higher ups and Japanese development team, I'm very excited to say that a firmware update has been released today, including, and I quote from Sony:

• Resolves an issue where the brightness decreases every time HDR content is played.

I'm currently downloading and installing this update, but have heard positive things so far!

The update can be found to download yourself at:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/downloads/00015236

Fingers crossed that this will be the much-needed fix, and in which case it will be very heartening to see such a swift response by Sony less than a week after speaking with them. 

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
alistairgd66

Wow, very exciting news! I am surprised at the relatively quick fix - let's hope it does the trick!