Join now - be part of our community!

Do you experience CEC issues with an AV receiver? (XH90 series)

profile.country.GB.title
Alon_Solo
Explorer

Do you experience CEC issues with an AV receiver? (XH90 series)

I am a proud owner of the Sony's KD-85XH9096 and the Arcam's AVR 390.

I use the AVR as an 'external speakers' for my Bravia.

I have one extremely annoying issue with the volume control via the Sony's remote control. Each time the TV switches to 'external speakers' (either when I turn on the TV, or when I do it manually from the settings) its volume scale is set to zero (not to be confused with mute) and therefore I cannot lower the volume of my AVR (the TV blocks my strokes due to the fact it's internal scale is zero). When I cast with AirPlay, the internal volume scale jumps from 0 to 100 (max) and then I cannot raise the volume.

It's important to mention the 'internal speakers' have its own volume and when I switch to it, it works fine and remembers the last state.

With my previous TV (Samsung 55ES8000) I had no issues as they suppressed the volume scale of the TV and just passed-through my strokes to the AVR. This makes me believe that CEC isn't implemented correctly in my TV and my ability to control the volume via TV's remote is strongly compromised.

I am wondering if anyone else who is using an external audio system has same issues with CEC (aka Bravia Sync) Control?

Tags (4)
22 REPLIES 22
profile.country.GB.title
kdhuk66

I assume that you are using ARC to the AVR...HDMI 3?

Anything else attached to the TV via HDMI sockets other than the AVR?

I had a Roku Express attached to my TV which caused no end of problems with the TV's communication with the AVR, especially the volume control....most likely due to CEC interference. After I removed it I have had no further problems.

profile.country.GB.title
Alon_Solo
Explorer

You assume correctly.

I thought that it goes without saying :slight_smile:

I have nothing attached to my TV beside the AVR (unless you also count in the Ethernet cable).

My firmware is also up-to-date (to the new version from 2 days ago).

I just must emphasis that I can control the volume via TV's remote. The issue, as I see it, is the fact that my TV has its own internal volume scale instead of it being totally suppressed for 'external speakers'.

This behavior brings two negative side-effects:

1) The TV always turns with volume zero so if the sound is to loud, my TV's remote is useless because the TV "thinks" that volume is already at the very minimum and doesn't pass my volume decrease strikes. When casting the scale jumps by itself to 100 (MAX value) so I can not increase to volume in this scenario.

2) When I hold any of the volume keys on TV's remote, the volume on the AVR slowly changes while TV's scale is accelerated and can quickly reach MIN or MAX volume and block farther strikes while AVR's volume (the only one that counts) is left far behind.

So this looks like a pure software bug that the TV not only has a dummy volume scale for 'external speakers' but this scale constantly goes by itself to MIN or MAX volume and blocking the pass-trough of my volume strikes to my AVR.

On the other hand, I think that such a significant issue can't hide from Sony's eyes for so long and therefore I want to ask this community in anyone else is experiencing similar issue with an AVR or I have some local issue with my TV.

profile.country.GB.title
williamfsmith

I use a Yamaha AV Receiver connected to the TV by optical which renders the TV remote volume inoperable (as its "fixed volume") (XG9505).

I have a Harmony remote that controls all my sources and having specified the Yamaha AV controls the Volume, it works perfectly.

profile.country.GB.title
kdhuk66

I have a KD-XH8505 and when connected to my AVR (Pioneer VSX-S520D-B) the TV and AVR remotes work in unison when controlling the volume (ie they both have the same effect when the TV sound is set to audio system) If I switch to TV speakers the volume is not necessarily at the same volume setting as it was when connected to the AVR - ie it does have a separate internal volume scale but this is ignored.when sound is set to audio system.

HDMI-CEC, I assume, is turned on in the AVR's settings.?  If so, I'm not sure what's going on in your set up...?

profile.country.GB.title
Alon_Solo
Explorer

Thank you William.

Unfortunately, this isn't helpful as digital (S/PDIF) connections like the optical you use, don't support CEC (or any full-duplex communication protocol) and therefor you can't control your AVR's volume from you TV. I use HDMI with CEC which allows me to control the volume from TV's remote but it has glitches that I wonder if other HDMI users have.

BTW, why don't you use ARC instead of optical? Does your Yamaha is an HDMI-less oldtimer? ARC also brings CEC and DD+ to the table and allows you to use one cable less

I also have a Harmony remote but this is a workaround that forces me to give up the built-in mic in Sony's remote. Nowadays, I don't really need the Harmony and Sony's remote is enough but the volume issue forces me to use additional remotes or get up to spin the volume ***** on the AVR.

profile.country.GB.title
Alon_Solo
Explorer

Thank you kdhuk66.

I think you didn't describe anything different from what I did. Let me ask you two guiding questions:

1) When you use 'audio system' does your TV pops-up a volume scale if you using TV's remote to control the volume? If so, does the volume (ie the numeric value) is same on your TV and AVR?

2) When you switch to 'TV speakers' and back again to 'audio system' does the TV's volume scale is being set to zero? If so, can you lower the volume of your AVR with Sony's remote?

All my settings are fine. It's just the fact that my Sony has its own scale for my audio system and it blocks volume control once it reach MIN or MAX value regardless of the AVR's real volume. My previous TV (2012 Samsung model) is working fine once I connect it therefore it is solely the implementation of CEC by Sony which uses a dummy volume scale instead of pure pass-trough via CEC. 

profile.country.GB.title
kdhuk66

The answer to question 1 is there is no pop up on screen if I'm using the AVR remote ....However if I then use the TV remote there is a screen pop up and it matches the value on the AVR

The answer to 2 is NO . The TV remembers what value it was the last time it was set to TV speakers only -  it does not reset to ZERO. ( at this point the AVR remote has no effect (of course).with the AVR showing a muted sound indicator)

If I set TV back to audio system the TV remote and the  AVR remote can both be iused and the value is set to the original  AVR value.

An afterthought... My AVR volume scale is 0 min-50 max just wondering what scale the TV is when set to TV speakers... I shall check.

It's 0 min - 100 max... I thought they might be the same but they're not.

profile.country.GB.title
Alon_Solo
Explorer

I have 0 to 100 scale on my TV for both the 'TV speakers' and 'audio system' (my Arcam AVR has a scale of 0 to 99). My 'TV speaker' scale works fine and it consistent with its last state.

For me, each time I switch to 'audio system' (either manually or automatically when I turn on the TV) the TV shows me volume ZERO (and it is never syncs with AVR's volume) so my TV remote can control the volume only in one direction - UP and each time we turn on the TV when the kid is sleeping we are jumping in panic to lower the volume with AVR's remote or the volume *****.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Alon_Solo 

On my satisfactorily working Samsung JS9000 to Yamaha YSP-2500 ARC connection, there is a volume scale on the TV and a volume scale on the Yammy, and they are not the same (except at 0 on both). But as I increase the volume on the TV remote, both scales climb, the TV to about 20, and the Yammy to about 80, beyond which it is uncomfortable.

Switching the Yammy off at any point, the TV continues through its own speakers, at very much the same subjective volume.

So I would conclude that it is not a bug to have the TV volume moving on one scale, and showing this, while the device out on ARC moves on another scale, linked and related, but not the same, albeit giving about the same SPL.

But everything else you describe, which departs from the intuitive operation of the two devices that I describe above, is a bug. Or possibly several bugs.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…