Join now - be part of our community!

Do you experience CEC issues with an AV receiver? (XH90 series)

profile.country.GB.title
Alon_Solo
Explorer

Do you experience CEC issues with an AV receiver? (XH90 series)

I am a proud owner of the Sony's KD-85XH9096 and the Arcam's AVR 390.

I use the AVR as an 'external speakers' for my Bravia.

I have one extremely annoying issue with the volume control via the Sony's remote control. Each time the TV switches to 'external speakers' (either when I turn on the TV, or when I do it manually from the settings) its volume scale is set to zero (not to be confused with mute) and therefore I cannot lower the volume of my AVR (the TV blocks my strokes due to the fact it's internal scale is zero). When I cast with AirPlay, the internal volume scale jumps from 0 to 100 (max) and then I cannot raise the volume.

It's important to mention the 'internal speakers' have its own volume and when I switch to it, it works fine and remembers the last state.

With my previous TV (Samsung 55ES8000) I had no issues as they suppressed the volume scale of the TV and just passed-through my strokes to the AVR. This makes me believe that CEC isn't implemented correctly in my TV and my ability to control the volume via TV's remote is strongly compromised.

I am wondering if anyone else who is using an external audio system has same issues with CEC (aka Bravia Sync) Control?

Tags (4)
22 REPLIES 22
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi, as far as I know adjusting the volume isn't always guaranteed when CEC is used, the best thing to do is to use the original remote.

profile.country.GB.title
osrisq
Explorer

We just bought the brand new A80J tv and have Arcam receiver and same thing volume goes up but not down by remote. its annoying as hell. Also netflix crashes which was fixed by buying a new google chromecast. But volume down control have no solution, did anyone find a solution to it yet?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@osrisq 

The implication would be that the CEC instruction for Volume Up sent by the Sony TV is received and understood by the Arcam, but the instruction for Volume Down isn’t.

As we haven’t seen this reported with any other make of equipment here, as far as I know, but on two separate Arcam receivers, it may well be worth taking this issue up with Arcam.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…