Join now - be part of our community!

Google Hangouts on Bravia

profile.country.GB.title
sweftA
New

Google Hangouts on Bravia

Does anyone know if it is possible to install Google Hangouts on a Sony Bravia KDL43W755C? I can't find it in the app store. Maybe there's a way to sideload it via USB?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Sure you can try to sideload it. You get get the apk from apkmirror, put it in a USB stick and install it from there with a File Manager (I personally like X-Plore).

But unless you have a keyboard connected to the TV I wonder how you would use it. Just the idea to type messages with the remote control drives me crazy..

profile.country.GB.title
sweftA
New

I make you right but I really wanted it as a way to send messages to my kids when they are sat in front of the TV, a one-way thing really!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jecht_Sin - in 2011 I got my first LCD/LED Screen (Sony of course) and at that time I didnt have a PC/laptop or smartphone - so all my web browsing for 6 months or so was via the TV.  One does get much quicker in typing using the TV remote control !!  :relieved:

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@sweftA Ahh.. ok. I am afraid notifications don't work on Android TV, though. Also to open sideloaded apps you may need either a file manager or you can make a shortcut in Home with TV App Repo (my favorite option).

@Anonymous I don't dare to ask why in 2011 (!!!!) you didn't have a PC nor a mobile phone... Where you living under a rock? :smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jecht_Sin wrote:

@Anonymous I don't dare to ask why in 2011 (!!!!) you didn't have a PC nor a mobile phone... Where you living under a rock? :smile:

I moved countries - sold up things before I left.  Fell on some hard times and living on the bones of my a... Didnt need a phone at that time and local library had 1hr free internet usage per day.  Only reason I got a new TV was that my Grandma died and left me a small amount of £ - so got the KDL-40NX723 TV :yahoo:  Loved that TV by the way.  Then got used to using the internet on the TV using the remote control.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Anonymous Right. As long as you have got your priorities in place, nothing can hurt you! lol