Join now - be part of our community!

Google Home with Sony's Google Cast implementation.

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

Google Home with Sony's Google Cast implementation.

Google Home, the new (well, in the UK) voice assistant doesn't play nicely with the Sony TV implementation of Google Cast.

When I only had one TV on my Google Home device list it worked fine as it responded to "play music on my TV". With an extra TV using a Google Cast added to the device list, Google home asks for the name of my TV.

Now, here lies the problem, my TV is called KDL-43W756C! Sony has arranged that I cannot change the name. So if I need to tell Google to play music I need to add the device name "play music by Mark Knopfler on my KDL-43W756C". If I can get it all out without error, Google Home has issues parsing the speech into an intelligible command. I think many humans would get stuck too.

Google Home is a bit stupid (undeveloped, I mean; it is not human). I asked if it can remember things. It responded with what was it  I wanted it to remember? So I asked it to rmember my TV is called KDL-43W756C. All OK. I then asked what is my TV called only to be told "sorry, I can't do that right now"..

So I can thoroughly recommend a Google Home to all - hours of delightful frustration await!

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I guess this is the price one pays for being an early adopter for 1st Generation technology - still requiring development and rather experimental at best.  I know this shouldnt be the case, but it seems that companies are all too often throwing technology out onto the market and supposedly developing it on the go - at consumers expense.

Thanks for your review though - im sure others will find it interesting too.

Cheers

profile.country.NL.title
woutur
Explorer

Hi,

In settings you can name your TV. So set to something convenient and you should be alright.

Go to Settings - Device - About. Choose Device Name. Click on change and scroll al the way down to the Custom option. Set your desired name there. As far as I know, every Android TV can be named to something custom like this.