Join now - be part of our community!

Google Play Movie trailers automatically playing on startup

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
banqsie
Explorer

Google Play Movie trailers automatically playing on startup

Whenever I turn my TV on it automatically loads up a trailer from Google Play.  Its extremely annoying when all I want to do is be taken to the home screen so I can launch iPlayer or whatever.  Instead I have to hammer away at the stop button to try and get the trailer to stop - most of the time it doesn't and continues to play in the background until I launch another app.  I'm also presented with a screen saying "New channel source available".  This has only started to occur in the last month or so.  

Anyone else have this issue or can suggest a solution?

I do not have an aerial or dish connected to the TV and rely on streaming content only  (but that does not include Google Play which I never use)

TV: KD-43X8305C Android 6.0.1

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi,

You should be able to hide the Google Play content in the recommendations bar.

Go to HOME > Home Screen > Recommendations row and untick Google Play Movies & TV.

Cheers

Peter

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi,

You should be able to hide the Google Play content in the recommendations bar.

Go to HOME > Home Screen > Recommendations row and untick Google Play Movies & TV.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@banqsie wrote:

I do not have an aerial or dish connected to the TV and rely on streaming content only  (but that does not include Google Play which I never use)

That's exactly my same situation. I first thought to have solved it disabling the streaming channels, but then it came back. Since I don't use Google Movie either, and I never intend to (sorry Google. Well, not really), I went in Settings/Apps/System Apps, found and selected Google Movie and completely disabled it. That should also remove any Google Movie app update, thus saving internal memory. :smile:

profile.country.GB.title
banqsie
Explorer

Thanks!  That seems to have done the trick!

profile.country.NL.title
jolouv
Explorer

I have the same problem on my KD65AF8. it is very annoying indeed! I did not ask for this. The solution you mentioned does not work on my device. Does anyone know how to kill this?

profile.country.SE.title
Scooterqb
Explorer

I have same issue on my AF8. This is more than an irritation. I cannot deal with it defaulting to the streaming channel when pushing TV button or turning on TV. I have tried the hide function. No solution. I cannot assign a specific output to the TV button on the new AF8 remote either. 

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi all,

It appears that the latest update to the 'Google Play Movies and TV' app (GPMAT) to revision 4.5.11.4-tv has been causing this issue. If you are facing this issue, the temporary workaround is either one of the following:

• If you use the GPMAT app to view movies and intend to keep using it while the next update is released with a fix, go to:
    HOME > Settings > Apps > Google Play Movies & TV
    1. Click Uninstall Updates
    2. Go back to HOME and find the Google Play Store app, disable the Auto-Update feature under Settings
    After that you will have to look occasionally under the My Apps section of the Google Play Store app to see when an update is available to GPMAT and apply it manually.

•  If you don't use the GPMAT app at all and don't plan to use it either in the future, the suggestion is to go to:
    HOME > Settings > Apps > Google Play Movies & TV
    1. Click Force Stop
    2. Click Clear Cache
    3. Click Clear Data
    4. Click Disable

Keep us posted!

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
Arcaarca
New

Thank you that fixed it! I don’t suppose anyone knows how to use chrome cast from my Iphone or iPad? When I try to stream from you tube it doesn’t detect the Chromecast?

profile.country.GB.title
mwille64
Explorer

Same issue here. The proposed solution to disable recommendation for Google Play/Movie doesn't work.

The only way I found that works is to disable the app. I can live with that as I don't use it anyway.

Ylavitone
New

Hello! Tried this and it stopped playing those trailers but still remains on that channel when I press ”tv” from the remote even then when external hdmi device is turned on. I want it to work like it was before this nonsense. You press tv, you get the right channel, without any google nonsense.

I have kd55xf8505 tv