Join now - be part of our community!

google play movies in 5.1 audio

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
ukbob1970
Explorer

google play movies in 5.1 audio

I have my kd49xd7005 on the latest firmware hooked up to my 5.1 amp (sony by the way) via optical and have no problem with netflix or amazon playing movies etc in 5.1 audio.

I have just rented a movie from google play (end of year deal only 99p) but cannot get it to ouput in 5.1 audio.

Please don't tell me googles own ecosystem is worse on their own android tv than their competition.

11 REPLIES 11

I seem to have a similar problem but have not been able to solve it so far.

I used my first free Google Play UHD movie offer yesterday to watch Bram Stoker's Dracula. This was tagged as 5.1 sound. I have my TV (Sony KD55XF9005) connected via optical cable to an old surround sound amplifier (speakers set to Audio system) that does not have an HDMI input. This connection method works with the TV's internal digital tuner and a connected Humax pvr, correctly showing DOLBY DIGITAL (indicating 5.1 being received) on the amp's front display. However the amp did not display that it was receiving DD5.1. I changed a few TV settings including trying:

Settings / Sound / Digital Audio out = PCM and Auto 1

Action menu / Sound / Advanced Settings / Input related > Dolby Digital Plus Output = Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus

Neither worked. Is there a solution to this problem that I can use for my second free Google Play movie?

profile.country.GB.title
RedHagar
Explorer

Yeah, the 5.1 doesn't seem to work through optical pass through. I can't
find links right now but this has never worked for me either with my Denon
receiver. However, external HDMI sources do work. Netflix works. What I do
is play my Google Play movies from my Blu-ray player...that works.