Join now - be part of our community!

Google tv app appears to cause poor picture but the Sky tv app does not!

profile.country.GB.title
SRT3333

Google tv app appears to cause poor picture but the Sky tv app does not!

I have been experiencing frequent issues with the Sony Google tv app on my KD-55A1 oled.

I’ve posted elsewhere about frequent dimming picture quality issues but there seemed to be no response. So after exhaustive trials it appears to be connected to the Google app on the tv. Watching a Netflix episode of Afterlife via the tv app shows a marked dimming and brightening of the picture which overall seems duller and less vibrant. The same effects appear on the Disney + app, again the Google app. Most noticeable in Black Widow!

if I then play those same pieces via the Sky tv Netflix or Disney + app there is a significant difference in better picture quality (Brighter) and NO dimming issues. Sadly the Sky app does not allow for the improved sound options that the Google app does

aside from not using the Google apps is there anything that might done to resolve this?

I have emailed Sony support but won’t hold my breath.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

The main difference could be that by using the native app you are seeing the dolby vision version of the content while SkyQ doesn't support it so you watch in either flat HDR10 or SDR

profile.country.GB.title
SRT3333

Thanks for that. What I don’t understand is why this is just happening now as it was never an issue a month or so ago. So why might Dolby vision be so bad or is that something this tv can’t handle?

incidentally , I just viewed “Dune” via my x box and although there was no dimming/dull issues I did perceive very brief vertical picture stretching. Is this time to replace my tv?

profile.country.GB.title
SRT3333

Solved for now after Sony support advised of procedures to try. Basically soft re-boot !

Thanks.