Join now - be part of our community!

HDR Game Mode

cyberpunksprite
Explorer

HDR Game Mode

Hi

Quick question regarding HDR and gaming on my screen.  After the new update I still don't see a specific HDR Gaming mode and the screen still automatically goes to HDR Video.

Can I still use HDR Video for playing the games?  I was thinking that if I removed processing such as smothing, reality creation etc. that potential latency would be reduced -  in essence match the processing settings in the normal game mode.

Am I right in thinking this?

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GB.title
Zach_N85
Explorer

@gmorgan09 wrote:

On my 75x94C, HDR game mode does not activate, only has HDR Video, anyone else???????

I believe you're meant to do it as following:

1. Change the TV to Game Mode

2. Activate an HDR game

The Picture Mode should then change to HDR (Game), then you can disable Motionflow/Cinemotion to reduce the input lag.

gmorgan09
Explorer

It only changes to HDR Video and not HDR Game.... Surely this is a bug angain in the firmware

cyberpunksprite
Explorer

I am facing the same.

55 8509C and when trying a HDR game on either the PS4 or XBO S it switches to HDR Video which is what it did prior to the update.  I just updated the screen via the TV update facility and it shows the correct firmware number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

HDR/Game Mode - I will clarrify this with Sony, but I have seen this article HERE, which states:

Sony offers a HDR game mode on its Z9D / ZD9 flagship TV but other 2016 and all 2015 TVs have so far offered a game mode only for non-HDR games.

With the new software (version 3.533) Sony is addressing the issue for most 2016 and 2015 4K HDR TVs by allowing you to engage the game mode while enjoying HDR. The update is available for the following models: X85C, S85C, X91C, X90C, X93C, X94C, SD85, XD85, XD94 & XD93.

To be honest, I dont really understand it myself.

Cheers
cyberpunksprite
Explorer

It is a bit confusing as the update reads as if sets such as mine (kd55x8509C) now have a HDR Game mode.

The timing of making this feature makes sense with Sony launching the PS4 Pro this week.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cyberpunksprite - I know, im scratching my head too :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

If you dont mind, ive changed to title to this thread slightly in order to make it more generic (away from a specific model) and turn this into a master thread about this HDR Game mode.

Cheers

cyberpunksprite
Explorer

No problem.

It will be effecting owners of different models from mine.

/continues to scratch head.

Maybe it is an issue with the firmware.

gmorgan09
Explorer

It's not working as it's meant to, there is definately no HDR Game Mode in the update. As the above link states the ZD9 has a specific HDR Game mode, this 355 update should have enabled the same feature. I submitted the issue to Sony Support.

This update got me quite excited, more so than the juddering fix as many PS4 HDR updates have arrived this week and I can notice the lag when in HDR video mode as opposed to standard game mode.