Join now - be part of our community!

HDR Game Mode

cyberpunksprite
Explorer

HDR Game Mode

Hi

Quick question regarding HDR and gaming on my screen.  After the new update I still don't see a specific HDR Gaming mode and the screen still automatically goes to HDR Video.

Can I still use HDR Video for playing the games?  I was thinking that if I removed processing such as smothing, reality creation etc. that potential latency would be reduced -  in essence match the processing settings in the normal game mode.

Am I right in thinking this?

18 REPLIES 18
cyberpunksprite
Explorer

I've also submitted a ticket to the support.  HDR Game mode is not working.

profile.country.GB.title
RoberMC

X85C here, HDR Game mode not visible anywhere. The TV enters automatically in "HDR Video" profile with some settings forced in "auto" and some others like "movie mode" forced in "high", among other settings that can be changed but revert back to default as soon as you change them. thanks god it at least allow disabling MotionFlow.

I don't get why it is so difficult for Sony to properly fix this, and once they are at it, fix all obvious bugs in image settings menu, for example, those options that allow adjusting in "HDR Video" mode that have no effect and reset to default by themselves.

Unicronic
New

I've been digging into this topic for the last week.

HDR gaming mode doesn't work even under the latest firmware release.

Either Sony's new firmware doesn't do the trick or they're planning on keeping HDR gaming mode in their Z series which are 65inches+ and a hefty price only.

LG are under similar pressure as their gaming features are lacking.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

Sony has suggested that you enable the HDR option on the PS4. 

PS4 HDR.JPG

Does anyone know of any good (free) games that are available that are HDR that I can test with?  Its been a while since Ive looked at my PS4, so im a little behind on whats available.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
RoberMC

So... HDR game mode in their TVs only works if you use it in conjunction with a PS4 and not other consoles with HDR enabled?

What a nonsense, and a typical answer from Sony!

Obviously everyone here have their consoles correctly configured because our TVs switches and locks on "HDR Video" profile, but the problem is that "HDR Game" profile is nowhere to be seen. If you do not enable HDR on your console the TV stays in whatever profile you were using (Game mode preferably)

profile.country.GB.title
yautjawarrior
Explorer

Just seen this on Trusted Reviews.

UPDATE 10/11: Sony has clarified that the update reduces the amount of input lag on the 2015 and 2016 TVs when in HDR mode.

Input lag in general is reduced across all sources as a result, but the update does not add a specific HDR Game preset to the TVs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

Yes @yautjawarrior is correct (beat me to it).  After feedback submitted from here, some websites have now been corrected in regards to some mis-information.

This is from:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/sony-tv-update-fixes-hdr-gaming-input-lag-problem

"

UPDATE 10/11: Sony has clarified that the update reduces the amount of input lag on the 2015 and 2016 TVs when in HDR mode.

Input lag in general is reduced across all sources as a result, but the update does not add a specific HDR Game preset to the TVs.

"

So there is NO specific game mode in regards to HDR on the TV.  As I have posted above, HDR needs to be set to "Automatic" in the PS4's Video Output settings.

Thanks all.
profile.country.GB.title
RoberMC

So when i want to see a UHD HDR movie i have to go to image settings, enable MotionFlow, Movie Mode, and all that stuff i like, and when i want to play a HDR game, i have to disable them manually.

Nice approach Sony!, it looks like this TVs do not have 4kb available to introduce a new image settings profile, or their heads would explode if they think in a console capable of playing UHD HDR Blu-Ray and HDR gaming using the same HDMI input of the TV.

The best work around for this for the moment even before the latest update is as follows and it works for me on my 2015 55" x9305c.

before you launch a HDR game on any console and you want to swith off all motion enhancement to reduce input lag, all you have to do is change the picture setting to HDR Video from game ( the colours will look wrong but will correct one game is launched) then go down to the motion setting and turn every thing off and adjust other setting to your preferance. then when you go back to game mode or launch a game from there HDR Video will remain locked to your previous settings. you will thenl have to change things back for movies till sony wake up and fix this. works with XBOX X  PS4 Pro and 4k Blueray.

Hope this helps for now.