Join now - be part of our community!

HDR problems

profile.country.GB.title
paulkyle
Explorer

HDR problems

I have taken delivery of a 75xe9005 and cannot get hdr to work correctly.

I have enhanced hdmi on, I have a 4k Netflix account and I have played planet earth ultra through an xbox one s. 

HDR auto does not activate. The only time I see hdr in the picture mode window is when I have it selected manually. 

I have got it wrong and hdr does not appear in auto mode, I do not see much in the way of difference until I select hdr manually.

Paul

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Have you tried playing HDR content directly from the Netflix app on the television? If it works then most likely it has to do with the XB1 S configuration. I have seen a couple of threads in the past and it wasn't exactly immediate to make it working. But you would find plenty of guides in the internet.

profile.country.GB.title
nikfam
Explorer

I also do have issues with HDR. Previously I had the qled ks9000 with tizen OS and youtube, amazon and netflix had HDR. Now with my xe930 youtube and amazon show no HDR at all while netflix showed only HD quality!! After factory data reset under latest nougat firmware netflix show normally UltraHD and HDR (although I am not quite excited about it compared to last year's flagship ks9000) but youtube and amazon still do not show any HDR content. 

Any ideas??

profile.country.GB.title
paulkyle
Explorer

That you for your reply. Unfortunately I have be unable to get hdr auto working from any source. The xbox is my sons and it plays hdr on his 9005. Do you happen to know what is the most recent software version. I suspect I may have to do a system reset. But I don't know how far it resets and wither it includes firmware

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@paulkyle For the firmware updates you can heck this link. I expect your TV to be updated already, but in case there are all instruction to check if you have the latest version, and how to install it via USB if you don't. 

A reset to factory settings (which at this point is the best thing to do) instead simply clears all the data in the television. The OS (Android) is left untouched. That means that after the reset turning on the TV it is like when you bought it, only with the last firmware version you have installed. So you have to set it up completely from scratch. But I am quite sure HDR will work (otherwise you have a faulty TV, but I doubt it).

nikfam wrote:

After factory data reset under latest nougat firmware netflix show normally UltraHD and HDR (although I am not quite excited about it compared to last year's flagship ks9000) but youtube and amazon still do not show any HDR content. 

YouTube doesn't support HDR yet. Or better, I suspect Mediatek messed up the implementation of Google's proprietary Profile VP9.2 for HDR in Android 7.0, because I can manage to have vp9.2 videos downloaded from YouTube playing in HDR (although with ugly, washed results) only from Plex.

Amazon Video must show HDR content in HDR. "Z" and "The Grand Tour" are both in HDR, no matter the resolution if you have low bandwidth. You may try to see if it works with them. If it doesn't I am afraid that there is yet another bug, but this time affecting only XE televisions, because usually HDR always plays (it sure does on my XD80) where supported. Since this is quite a low level issue (down to the Codecs) I am afraid that if it doesn't work you should try a second reset to factory settings.