Join now - be part of our community!

HELP! Firmware v6.2671 broke my TV!

profile.country.GB.title
mattastic503
Explorer

HELP! Firmware v6.2671 broke my TV!

Hi everyone!

After updating my KD55XE8596 to the new v6.2671 firmware, my TV no longer displays any images. I get sound just fine, but no image at all.

I've performed a factory reset, and the problem is still there, except now I can hear the welcome screen music. After playing with the remote a bit, I seem to be in the welcome menu, but I can't see any of the options!

How do I fix this?? The best idea I have is to re-install the update via USB, but I need to get through the welcome screens to be able to do that. Maybe someone could show me a sequence of remote commands that will get me through the menus? I've been watching videos of others setting up their TVs, but I seem to get stuck after a couple of steps, and I literally can't see why.

Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I am not sure how you performed a factory reset without seeing anything, unless you followed already this instruction. With a problem like this I am afraid you are left with only two options:

• Try to perform another factory reset following the instruction in the link above
  • If it still doesn't work call Sony support and have the TV replaced/fixed

Sorry.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Check also if you can enter Safe Mode :

https://sony-paa-pa-en-web--paa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/129220

You can also perform a Factory Reset from there

profile.country.GB.title
mattastic503
Explorer

Jecht:

I used the down/power/plug-in method. The reset seems to have happened properly, because when I turn it on, I can hear the welcome-screen music, but there's no image.

I had called Sony support on Thursday, and, well, they say they'll update me on Tuesday on this issue. I have a really bad feeling this is going to require a replacement.

If I can somehow be shown how to navigate through the welcome screens and maybe re-apply the firmware update, maybe that'll fix the problem? That's my last idea.

MiCal:

Thanks for that. I'll give Safe Mode a try as soon as I can.

profile.country.GB.title
mattastic503
Explorer

UPDATE:

Safe Mode made no difference.

I have an idea, though.

While in the Welcome screen, is it possible to update the TV's firmware using a USB stick? If so, are there any menus to navigate? Maybe one of you fine folks could help me blind-navigate through them?

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @mattastic503

I am sorry to hear that factory hard reset and safe mode did not solve problem.

Since latest firmware is already applied, I think that there is no way to re-apply.

You must wait next firmware, insert USB flash with pkg and if lucky (because of your previous hard reset there are no Initial Setup applied) this will start with no other action. The most reliable solution is Sony authorized service which means TV replacement or Main Board replacement. Or if Sony geniuses have become experts after two and a half years of improper knowledge,they with fix it another way without replacing a part.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I would do like this:

• turn the TV off
  • unplug the power supply for few seconds
  • plug it again
  • the TV will reboot.
  • immediately push the power on button in the remote (the white led should go on). You need to wait few seconds to work

If you don't see any picture during the reboot the TV is most likely faulty and needs to be replaced. If you see the dynamic logo ending with Android (well, at least on my TV), or part of it, something is wrong with the firmware installation.

profile.country.GB.title
mattastic503
Explorer

Hi Jecht, 

I tried your advice twice. No image. I agree that it looks like this will need to be replaced. Now if only Sony Support would come to the same conclusion.

Thanks for your help!