Join now - be part of our community!

Image retention problem

profile.country.GB.title
windymiller9

Image retention problem

I have a KD-55AF8 which has an annoying ghost image at the bottom of the screen which says: "BREAKING NEWS" with a ticker bar underneath it, obviously from Sky News which I watch frequently, It's only a faint image but is more noticeable when watching footy with the plain green pitch background.

I've tried "Panel Refresh" from the Settings/Display menu but it's still the same.

Is it possible to remove or is it burnt on the screen permanently?

RB

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

If it doesn't go away just switching off the tv for an hour or even with the panel refresh you did, it is burnt.

Did you leave the tv on standby and plugged to the power when you are non-watching it?

profile.country.GB.title
windymiller9

Thanks for your reply:

When we're finished watching I switch off the Sky box from the remote and the same on the Sony remote, the top right green button, which I presume is Standby mode!

Should the TV be switched off from the mains switch?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

No it shouldn't other ways it could not make the panel refresh due every 4 hours of use. Contact sony support in order to see what they can do about it. Out of curiosity how much hours a day you mean by frequently watch sky news?
profile.country.GB.title
windymiller9

Being watching The Briefing on Sky News, every day till it finished, then late night CNN News for a good hour after prime time viewing.

Will contact Sony Support, as you suggested, so thank you very much for your help...

WM

profile.country.GB.title
windymiller9

Well, I contacted Sony Support and they were helpful, talking me through different things to try and finally performing a Factory Reset which made no difference to the image retention problem.  I was moved up to the next level and the following day informed that there was nothing more they could do as the problem wasn't covered  under warranty,  incidently the set is only 18 months old, and that I should contact my local Sony Repair centre, which I did. I was informed it would cost £1300 for a replacement refurb Sony OLED which in my book is an utter disgrace...

I rang the large department store I purchased it from and they said that Sony warranty doesn't cover image retention as it caused by user misuse of the set ie.watching hours of tv on a programme with bright, intense banners.

I certainly haven't being  doing that and I'm very disappointed with Sony.

Can anyone offer any advice?

WM

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Well, don't watch hours of Sky, or news programmes with tickers, would be good advice.

Being honest, I can't see why Sony should pay for your mistake.

Thing is, it's noted in the manuals, and I don't think any manufacturer would back up warranty on user damage, which it is, no matter how you look at it.

Plasma was the same, user error mostly, channel logos, and news tickers being the main culprits.

And for it to actually be readable, in "Breaking News" would indicate you do tend to watch it for quite a bit.

The brighter the screen the quicker it happens.

profile.country.GB.title
LGSAMy

How is watching broadcast TV a mistake regardless of what the content? . Not fit for purpose. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

The problem is the use you do with the tv. In the warning is clearly stated (overstated let me say) what you should not do with the tv:

"The following are examples of images that may cause image retention:
• Content with black bars either on the top and bottom and/or the left and right sides of the screen. (for example, Letterboxed,4:3 screen, Standard definition)
• Static images such as photos.
• Video games that might have static content in some part of the screen.
• On-screen menus, programme guides, channel logos etc.
• Static content from applications.
On-screen tickers, such as those used for news and headlines"

Now the question is: How much and how long did you watch news or alike on your tv?

profile.country.GB.title
windymiller9

Totally agree;  when you outlay £2000+ on a supposedly top of the range OLED TV,  you would expect to watch your favourite programmes for a bit longer. I did watch Sky News during lockdown and the 5.00pm Briefings, but not all day, so can you class that as extreme viewing?