Join now - be part of our community!

Image retention problem

profile.country.GB.title
windymiller9

Image retention problem

I have a KD-55AF8 which has an annoying ghost image at the bottom of the screen which says: "BREAKING NEWS" with a ticker bar underneath it, obviously from Sky News which I watch frequently, It's only a faint image but is more noticeable when watching footy with the plain green pitch background.

I've tried "Panel Refresh" from the Settings/Display menu but it's still the same.

Is it possible to remove or is it burnt on the screen permanently?

RB

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@windymiller9 with whom you totally agree?

Money spent doesn't mean anything: if you buy a Ferrari to run only inside the city on low gear you will destroy it despite spending 1 million pounds over a Fiat Panda.

If you have informed yourself before buying an OLED you should have a view of what is too much for an OLED https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

if you set it over bright (200 nits or above at maximum luminance) and watch news with bold thicker for 20 hours a day after, less than 15 weeks you burn it. Now make the maths in your use case and see if you misused the tv or not in your 18 months usage

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

@windymiller9 wrote:

Totally agree;  when you outlay £2000+ on a supposedly top of the range OLED TV,  you would expect to watch your favourite programmes for a bit longer. I did watch Sky News during lockdown and the 5.00pm Briefings, but not all day, so can you class that as extreme viewing?

Yeah, but I don't see why spending £2000 lets you watch tv for longer, that's just daft.

You can watch tv on a £99 lcd for hours a day, it's just that technology is a bit more sturdy than OLED, so retention takes a long long time, and even longer for permanent burn in.

So you have been watching an hour or two of tickers, and who knows what brightness, and an hour or two of late night logos/tickers then the tv is off for the night.

Next day, when the retention isn't quite cleared, you are basically topping it up, so rinse and repeat that for 18 months.

That's the thing with OLED and Plasma in it's day, it's fragile, the reviews say it can be, the manuals say it can be, and the owners know it can be, as they see it happen.

profile.country.GB.title
windymiller9

When I was experimenting with HDR broadcasts from Sky a few weeks ago,  I set the Picture Mode from standard to vivid and the screen resolution from 1080p to 2160p-10bit as required for UHD broadcasts. It was after I had done that I noticed the image retention at the bottom of the screen, do you think those settings changes have contributed towards the problem?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You cannot change the resolution of the tv screen. And setting the picture mode to vivid is far too bright, saturated and really a nonsense for buying an oled at all. Yes setting an oled to vivid and watching news all the time is a bad way to use an OLED and prone to burning. 
profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Yeh, totally agree, vivid is not the way to go.

Thats just like those daft bright modes they used to set lcds on in stores to make them pop, and no way meant for home viewing.

If that's only been a few weeks, it goes to show you just how easy it can go bad.

I guess most damage was done over time, but in the past few weeks, that panels fate was sealed.

profile.country.GB.title
windymiller9

Thanks for your help!

Should of read the small print in the manual...

profile.country.GB.title
Happyrobot

Windymiller9, no you shouldn't have had to read the small print in the manual!

Please don't listen to the 'enthusiasts' on here. Your TV is not fit for purpose. 

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 protects you. In your case, you are a consumer and would a 'reasonable consumer' believe they cannot watch TV in the way they want? Absolutely not. 

You are not made aware of these flaws at the time of purchase and the retailer cannot deny you your rights. 

If you purchased via credit card, claim a section 75. If you didn't, send a letter to head office with recorded delivery and see what their final offer is. If they refuse to help, your next step is to use an ADR service or contact the financial ombudsman. 

The Ferrari example is laughable.

profile.country.GB.title
Happyrobot

How many hours is 'hours'? There is no definition of hours. Anything two or more is 'hours'.