Join now - be part of our community!

KD-49XF8096 - iPlayer error 02056

profile.country.GB.title
slipd83
Explorer

KD-49XF8096 - iPlayer error 02056

Hi guys, 

As above. We've been unable to view anything on iPlayer, we just get greeted with the unable to play error code 02056 when making a selection.

Restarting the TV hasn't helped. 

Any other things to try? The TV is fine apart from this, Plex, Netflix and Disney+ all work etc.

Thanks! 

27 REPLIES 27
profile.country.GB.title
WH225-12
New

I’ve had the same error message and after much digging, it turns out it’s my VPN, which blocks iPlayer.. have you got a vpn? 

profile.country.GB.title
slipd83
Explorer

Ha, nope, not at all - we just have a regular Now TV broadband connection. Nothing special.

It's weird because we can even get anything with iPlayer if we tether the TV to our phones; Vodafone, O2 and Three. Nothing seems to "allow" iPlayer through the TV.

It definitely did used to work - we watched a lot of iPlayer through the various Lockdowns, so we're convinced its an update issue. 

profile.country.GB.title
slipd83
Explorer

I get it that digital transmissions are still out there, alive and kicking, but that shouldn't affect streaming service should it? - as in us not currently having a coaxial aerial connected. The rest of the streaming services that we use are all absolutely fine through the TV.

profile.country.GB.title
slipd83
Explorer

Yep, tried several networks too, nothing...

profile.country.GB.title
elcarte89
Explorer

I have a Sony TV  KD-65AG8 with a similar message - 02050. Iplayer worked fine until it became part of Sony Select - I also had a similar issue with Channel 5 which now works fine with the my5 app that I installed from Goggle Store. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@elcarte89 

https://www.google.com/search?q=bbc+iplayer+error+02050&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#ip=...

And work down the list till you find a fix that works,

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
elcarte89
Explorer

Thanks for the link. I had tried everything listed including updating firmware & factory reset - still having problems with BBC iPlayer. I also checked that my TV had been certified with iPlayer which it had been. Noting that there is an announcement on BBC iPlayer home player regarding error code 02050 & other similar error codes 

profile.country.GB.title
slipd83
Explorer

I've not checked recently as iPlayer isn't used via the TV, because it didn't work... Instead we access it through Sky/a Firestick, which both work fine.

By the looks of it, Sony still haven't fixed it on the Google TV platform? My 2015 bedroom Sony TV which hasn't received updates for many years, plays iPlayer content without a hitch.