Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55AF8 and ethernet

profile.country.GB.title
sukmudha7

KD-55AF8 and ethernet

Hello,

I have the KD-55AF8 and was wondering if there is anyway to upgrade the ethernet to 1GB? Will a USB to 1GB ethernet adaptor work?  I have a lot of 4k videos taken on my Sony RX100 IV and they are unable stream smoothly over my 1GB network. Kodi keeps buffering and freezes playback.

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@sukmudha7  ha scritto:

Hello,

Looking at one of my videos the Total Bitrate is - 51357 kbps and Data rate - 4984 kbps

Thanks

51mbps should work easily also on lan....maybe the problem is elsewhere (i.e. Kodi)

profile.country.GB.title
sukmudha7

All the videos playback fine on my Windows 10 PC connected to the same Windows 2019 server share over the same network the TV is connected.  I also have another cheap Andriod box i.e. WeTek Play 2 and Kodi plays all the videos including 4k fine, but is running a custom Android 6 ROM and cannot be upgraded to Android 7/8/9.  I would like the TV just to work considering I spent £2500.

I will look into VLC if I can get around the domain; username issue and also DLNA

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@sukmudha7 none here is interested on how much you spent for your tv nor if the same thing works on a PC. We are trying to help you out to solve your problem and give suggestions. On my own tv I can easily view 4k HDR video with bitstream as high as 90mbps using stock video app and a serviio media server (or even a flawky twonky on my WD NAS). If it solves the problem for you too I'm happy, that's it. I cannot watch a 4k action cam video via network cause the bitstream is higher than 100mbps and this fact doesn't bother me enough to use a wifi 5ghz connection instead of the more stable lan cabling.

profile.country.GB.title
sukmudha7

hello,

I appreciate everyone's help here - Thank you :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
sukmudha7

Hello,

Is it possible to set a username and password when viewing content via serviio media server? There are several devices on the network and I don't want anyone just viewing the videos openly via DLNA?

Thanks

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Only with the pro version but never used myself , you should have a 10 days trial if I remember right for you to try
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

To get 2160p60 playing well on the slow SoC of the AF8, all things need to play well together. Rendering a 4K frame every 16ms is a hard job to do. Kodi's streaming and rendering aren't very efficient which especially becomes obvious with 2160p60 content on low end CPUs. Either the streaming thread starves due to high rendering load or the rendering thread starves due to high streaming load.

SMB inevitably adds quite a bit of overhead, performance- and bandwidth-wise. I can only suggest to go with VLC and DLNA. That's a combination you have a chance with on the slow SoC.

@rooobb  schrieb:
On my own tv I can easily view 4k HDR video with bitstream as high as 90mbps

It makes one hell of a difference if you just play 2160p24 or 2160p60 content. With the first you only have to render a 4K frame every 41ms, with the latter every 16ms. It is double to triple the frames (or half to third the frame cycle) we are talking about...

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Kuschelmonschter a 51mbps bitstream is hardly a problem for the Af8 soc IMHO regardless of the frame to be rendered

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I am still seeing micro-stuttering in YouTube when playing the 2160p60 streams. Many people probably can't see those or do not bother. But the frame cycle clearly already struggles there. And the bitrate is only about 30mbps. Also Kodi exhibits occasional micro-stuttering for those clips while playing them over local network.

When using the right combination of protocol and app, 50mbps streams should at least not result in rebuffering. I give you that. Kodi and SMB probably isn't the best combination though. The micro-stuttering however starts at pretty low bitrates already.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Or try to play a 2160p60 video from YouTube via Chromecast... total f..-up.