Join now - be part of our community!

KD 65 XE9005 static electric noise on standby

profile.country.GB.title
Ashenxe9005
Explorer

KD 65 XE9005 static electric noise on standby

Hi everyone,

I purchased a Sony KD-65XE9005 in January of 2018. From early this month, I have noticed that the TV will constantly make a static-like eletric noise when it has been turned off. This doesn't stop when time passes and there isn't really a pattern to it. All I know is it makes a subtle noticable sound when the display and TV are off and in standby. I am worried about this detail as my 1 year warranty is closing in though the Co-op Eletrical Shop had advertised 5 years. Should I contact Sony Customer service? Any thoughts?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @Ashenxe9005,

Welcome to the Sony Community! Perhaps you could test to see if the TV keeps doing it if absolutely all cables except the mains are disconnected from it. Then also in addition test to see if you disconnect power from absolutely all other devices except the TV itself in a radius of about 3 meters from the TV makes a difference. 

Keep us posted. 

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
Ashenxe9005
Explorer

Hi @dutchice

Thanks for the advice. I tried the scenarios and the sound is still audible.

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

It’s a tricky one. There may or may not be a fault. Could it be that you have sensitive hearing and that others won’t hear it if you’d ask them? In that case requesting a service under warranty will only be a time spill. Since the technician will not detect any faults with the unit upon inspection. 

But on the other hand it may well be a case of some existing fault. Perhaps if you are certain it used not to make the static noise before then contact Sony CS and raise a case. Just note that as long as the TV is functioning appropriately despite what you may be hearing, it might be that they won’t consider your case as a fault to qualify for service under warranty. I’d personally give it some more time to see how matters unfold. You still have plenty of time to see if it leads to a malfunctioning. 

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
Ashenxe9005
Explorer

Hi @dutchice

@The sound is definitely there as my whole family hears it. Our flat and living is small and we can hear it when we are on the sofa. But like you said, Sony might not class it as a fault. The display doesn’t seem affected by this.

Another slight issue that I believe started after a September update - light bleed and colour fading lines vertically across the left and right corners top to bottom

I believe this should be software as I haven’t noticed anything that is that dramatic all this time. There was a bit of clouding as expected from LCD but not this edge effect till the update.

Thanks for your valued feedback