Join now - be part of our community!

KD55XE9305 Clouding

profile.country.GB.title
andwebst4
New

KD55XE9305 Clouding

Hi,

I recently bought a 55xe9305 and have been suprised by the degree of backlight clouding that is visible on the home screen, within app menus such as netflix, google, amazon prime etc. and between signals. None of my pre-purchase research mentioned this which is what is suprising, given how obvious it is on my set.

It is only really visible in a dark room and once a proper signal is pushed through such as blu-ray, netflix movie, youtube vid or tv, the local dimming seems to activate which pretty much eliminates the problem in most circumstances (as far as i can tell).

Sony support say it is within the specification of the TV. Anybody else have experience of this and any ideas as to why would sony choose to disable the local dimming on menus as it looks shocking. Not the end of the world I appreciate. It's the picture during the footage which counts, but it just doesn't feel right and on an expensive set, it's playing on my mind I'd like to make sure it's normal. Is anybody able to give some feedback, or their experience of the same issue?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Eg.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

Can I ask if the light sensor is set to “ON”.
This should improve your viewing experience in dark rooms.

Let me know how you get on.

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.GB.title
andwebst4
New

Thanks!

If the light sensor is the setting which automatically adjusts the brightness of the set relative to the available light in the room, I do not have it on, no. I find the tv making those sort of adjustments on my behalf counter-intuitive but hey, I'll give it a go and get back.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Turn on advanced contrast enhancer to low.

profile.country.GB.title
Prior20

must admit since i got a new 2017 model, i noticed it much more than my 2015 or 2016 model.

AndyJay1
Explorer

I'm the original OP but the site appears to have prevented me from accessing my account so i've had to re-register to continue this discussion.

I had a go with the light sensor last night and it does help a little, largely because it reduces the brightness i guess? I will also try the contrast setting as suggested and maybe this will help to reduce it further. I don't imagine it will completely get rid of the clouding though.

Is the general consensus that this is normal then, providing is isn't a problem during playback? i suppose I'm just trying to figure out if there are good and bad panels out there in this respect, or if it is fairly typical of all units and just a consequence of having such a bright, edge-lit tv?

profile.country.GB.title
LennonMac
Explorer

I have the Sony HX853 and it also has a lot of Clouding which i really hate as i watch my TV mainly at night in the dark room and the clouding is very noticeable especially in dark scenes,i wonder is it only Sony Models that suffer from Clouding.