Join now - be part of our community!

KD55XF8096 USB Hard Drive Recorder....

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Eskimosony

KD55XF8096 USB Hard Drive Recorder....

So can I just plug a USB flash drive into the KD55XF8096 or does it have to be a dedicated stand alone HDD?

Also does the KD55XF8096 support USB 3?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Eskimosony,

most USB-drives (including sticks) should work.

Maybe someone here in the community can suggest one - maybe @dutchice or @LightFoot 

I don't think the port is a USB3 port, but it is compatible with USB3 drives and sticks.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Eskimosony

Thanks Nic I was thinking of buying a 128GB 

I don't suppose you know how much 30mins takes up in GB?

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Eskimosony,

@Eskimosony  wrote:

I don't suppose you know how much 30mins takes up in GB?

unfortunately I don't record to a HDD/stick (since I don't watch linear TV, so no need to record the same).

If I knew which data-rate Sony encodes SD/HD videos with, I could calculate it. Since I don't have this data, you need to either try for yourself OR wait until @dutchice or @LightFoot see that I mentioned them here and reply to your question.

- Nic

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

The tv record directly the streaming coming from the broadcaster so the space needed is highly dependent on the streaming resolution and compression used. As a rule of thumb you may consider 1 GB per hour in SD and double in HD.

Be aware the flash disk support is officially not permitted and in any case you have to use a very fast one in order to pass the required speed check. The USB for recording is a usb3 one.

profile.country.GB.title
Eskimosony

So if I don't use a USB what drives are available? Do Sony make a specific SSD/HDD tecorder for the TVs?

profile.country.GB.title
Eskimosony

Thanks Nic, that's great

profile.country.GB.title
57western
Explorer

I have a 55" sony 9305 UK version. I have registered a USB/hard drive device which is accepted 'for all purposes'

The trouble is I can't record anything. When I press the record button on the tv remote nothing happens.

I have sky tv routed through an AV and I use a sound bar.  I don't know if it makes any difference though.

Any ideas anyone?

profile.country.GB.title
Eskimosony

I think it's because you are recording Sky and not terrestrial. Make sure you are on Digital TV and signed into Youview or whatever the program provider is...and then try. I might be wrong but I think I'm right!!

It just won't record from an HDMI input be it XBox/PlayStation/DVD etc