Join now - be part of our community!

kd55xh8196bu streaming 4k

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Cyfly70
Explorer

kd55xh8196bu streaming 4k

I've had my TV now for a few weeks but can't say I've been overly impressed with the quality of the picture especially on 4k streaming via Disney+ and wondered if it was indeed a 4k picture but I'm unsure how I can tell. I also notice on dolby vision that the screen gets lighter and darker although this feature has been disabled. Sorry if I'm not explaining myself too well as new to this. Any assistance would be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Now It Is not easy to remember ....it was more than 3 years ago. 
But basically the step should be:
- Start with the most accurate preset (should be custom on yours)
- adjust brightness contrast and sharpness using any pattern you can find in internet (also in this community)
- leave the advanced contrast enhancer active (it will fluctuate the brightness but will give you an help with the low contrast of the IPS panel)
- and buy a led strip :wink:

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You have to be aware that you bought an entry level tv, so you have to set your expectation accordingly. Dinsey+ AFAIK doesn't display the actual resolution, so you may check the effect only on other platform (i.e. netflix or an own file encoded in 4k or youtube)

Regarding the "lighter/darker DV" it is not really clear which feature you disabled... I suspect is the Advanced Super Contrast feature the enables the frame dimming (that is the only feature you have to control the backlighting system in your edge led IPS panel) that can be disabled but giving you grayish black overall.

profile.country.GB.title
Cyfly70
Explorer

I greatly appreciate your response and please forgive my noob status and lack of clarity. I do appreciate I haven't paid for a top of the range product I'm just disappointed I haven't seen any improvement over my previous model KDL40W4000 as I had expected HDR/4K to have more of a wow factor and this has been sadly lacking.

I have checked the source material from Disney+ and certain titles should play in 4k provided the TV is compatible and internet speeds allow. The particular title i was viewing was 4k and when checking picture settings HDR was visible at the top of the screen, should this have displayed 4k at the top if streaming in 4k?

The setting I was referring to and had disabled was the light sensor which by your response would not have any effect on the brightening/dimming I was experiencing and when checking I do have the Advanced contrast feature set as medium so will experiment with this to see if turing off resolves this issue.

I am generally finding it difficult to find suitable picture settings for the TV as there appears to be a constant washed out appearance to the visuals and I have tried a Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark Blu-ray without much improvement overall. Any advice or suggestions you could give would be most appreciated. These issues along with clouding in the corners and flashlighting is somewhat spoiling my new 4K TV experience and I have owned many Sony products over the years without issue.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I still have myself a KDL32W4000, aesthetically very beautiful ... not that much as picture quality.

But in order to have a "wow" effect 4K resolution is not enough (and it is strictly dependant on the dimension and the distance you look at it, since based on these variable your eyes are not capable of resolving fully the native resolution of the display). The most impactful experience you can have from modern telly is done by contrast (and you should buy an OLED tv or at least a FALD VA lcd) and HDR (for which you need again contrast and a relevant peak brightness) apart from smart features.

Your tv is an honest IPS EDGE led panel, that working carefully with the settings and maybe using a bias lighting behind it (that you can buy for few pounds and help the panel contrast in dark environment)  can give a pleasant vision. But to have a wow experience you should invest more. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

20170103_160807.jpg20170103_154113.jpg

Those photos shows my old XD83 (with similar specs to your XH81) with the correct cinema profile and a warm bias led strip on the back

profile.country.GB.title
Cyfly70
Explorer

Thanks again for your advice on this matter. Those pictures look impressive. Can I ask what picture settings you have to enable this quality of output? 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Now It Is not easy to remember ....it was more than 3 years ago. 
But basically the step should be:
- Start with the most accurate preset (should be custom on yours)
- adjust brightness contrast and sharpness using any pattern you can find in internet (also in this community)
- leave the advanced contrast enhancer active (it will fluctuate the brightness but will give you an help with the low contrast of the IPS panel)
- and buy a led strip :wink:
profile.country.GB.title
Cyfly70
Explorer

Thanks for all your advice you have been a great help. I'll start working through the settings as advised and purchase an Led strip. I'm hoping to see some positive results soon🤞