Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-40W700C Panel Refresh Rate 50 Hz but says Motion Flow 200Hz!!!

profile.country.GB.title
Hector69X
Explorer

KDL-40W700C Panel Refresh Rate 50 Hz but says Motion Flow 200Hz!!!

Guys I really need your help here. I want to buy this KDL-40W700C tv only as my Gaming Monitor. I need at least 60 Hz refresh rate but in the last moment I figured out behind Sony’s Marketing “200 Hz” thing it says “Panel Refresh Rate is 50 Hz”!

I literally don’t care about Motion Flow but will my Graphics Card show 60 Hz in my PC Display Settings?

Lots of Thanks in Advance.

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I am not exactly sure whether panels are still 50Hz/100Hz in Europe while they are 60Hz/120Hz in America.

Mine is also a European model and when I run Android TV and apps, the display refreshes at a permanent 60Hz, except for when I switch to Live TV, where the TV switches to 50Hz for smooth PAL playback.

Also most mobile devices shoot video at 30/60fps. On Netflix and Amazon, basically everything is 24fps. All this content plays much better at 60Hz. So I don't think that it makes sense to sell 50Hz-only panels in Europe anymore.

As for HDMI inputs, you can easily put it to 60Hz. But this has always been the case. This option is in the EDID and you can therefore select it in the settings panel of your graphics card.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I have never understood that 50/60 Hz thing either. To have panels at 50 Hz max would be just dumb. Especially with consoles (Sony making the PlayStation(s) is also a factor). Also considering that sure it doesn't take much nowdays to make 60Hz panels that can switch to 50Hz as well. Which should be made for the USA and other markets anyway.

Still, comparing the USA and EU spec sheets for the same TVs it seems that EU panels are at 50Hz indeed. At least (only?) for the MotionFlow. It must be another reason why personally I keep it disabled. I don't really really like its effect much.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Android says that the display runs at 60Hz. And I can easily verify it by playing PAL content via PVR add-on in Kodi with Motionflow being disabled which results in micro-judder. So I have to engage motion interpolation to get smooth PAL playback in the Android 3rd party app context...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Kuschelmonschter Yeah, I meant to ask but I have forgot. How do we check the screen refresh rate in Android TV? I mean, in the small dumb Bravia I have I just press the i+ button..

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Refresh rate can be read via some Android API. Several apps like Kodi display it.

If you don't trust this API there is a frame callback API too which gets called on a VSync. This is typically used for video timing. You can also count the calls per second = VSyncs per second = refresh rate.

To determine refresh rate in a non-programmatic way, one can also use Kodi's refresh rate samples. Just check which of them plays free of judder with Motionflow being disabled.

profile.country.GB.title
hvalentim

Considering most content comes encoded at 25FPS, a 60Hz refresh rate still allows a reasonable degree of interpolation. As for the "200 Hz" bogus, I guess they mean the interpolation engine speed.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

hvalentim schrieb:

Considering most content comes encoded at 25FPS, a 60Hz refresh rate still allows a reasonable degree of interpolation.

Whaaaat?

profile.country.GB.title
hvalentim

Most content I am watching on my TV is encoded at ~25 frames per second (the animation is generated by a sucession of 25 still images per second). 60hz means the TV is cable of refreshing the screen/image 60 times per second. Hence, it is still possible to inject/generate a one in between frame to make the motion look smoother.

Do you disagree with the reasoning?

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@hvalentim Actually the ideal is that 24fps video should be interpolated at 50 Hz (actually.. 48 Hz). Otherwise, at 60Hz 20% of frames get doubled. That's why a 120 Hz display is good. 120 = 5x24. At least so is my understanding.

@Kuschelmonschter Sorry to bother you again.. but how exactly would you show the fps in Kodi? Not that it really should matter, I am very positive that the refresh rate is 60 Hz. I have checked a video in YouTube days ago, with a round clock where the arm was moving 60 times in a second and it felt natural to me (although too fast. I can't really follow it. But it didn't seem to skip anything).

Still it doesn't explain why the Motionflow has a base of 50Hz. Nor how it works with 30Hz signals.